Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Sub menus were showing, but now they're not

Old May 5, 2012, 02:37 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Hi there. I'm using wp 3.3.2 and Atahualpa 3.6.1. When I logged on to my site today, the first thing I did was publish some sub pages and they showed up fine. Then I changed the menus color, background color, and location a few times. That's all I've done, but now the sub menus won't show up.

I made my own pages and category menus through Atahualpa. I've gone back into the menu 1/menu 2 tabs to see what I could have changed that would make the sub menus invisible, but I can't find anything. I deleted all my sub pages and then just re-created one as a test, but it's not working. I've also read through the posts of those who have had a similar problem, but none of the solutions help me.

My website is http://route66ministries.com/. The Old Testament link should have a sub menu "Genesis" beneath it.

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out the problem for about 2 hours.

Last edited by ctucker541; May 5, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Solved
Old May 5, 2012, 02:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
I made my own pages and category menus through Atahualpa
what do you mean by this? are you saying you did not use the %pages nad %cats option in the 'Configure Header Area' option and built your own menu using HTML?
Old May 5, 2012, 02:58 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Sorry, I just meant I think I used Atahualpa menus and not a custom wordpress. I went under Appearance / Menus and renamed the Pages and Category menus. Then I added new pages, published them, and assigned them under the parent pages.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:01 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Why not just use the WordPress menu builder. Here is a link to the codex in case you don't know how to use it. It's pretty intuitive though. Just go to Appearance>Menus and start building. Then assign the menu to Main Menu or Cat Menu depending on whether you used %pages or %cats.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:07 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Because that looks like a lot of work and right now I'd rather have it work the easy way if someone could help me figure out why the sub menus were working fine but now they're not. Is there some glitch in Atahualpa that makes you suggest doing menus in wordpress?
Old May 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Either way works when I try it. Sub-pages show as sub-menu items and sub-categories show as sub-category items. Also make sure you don't have a menu assigned in Appearance>Menus if you are using the native Atahualpa menu system.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:14 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I went under Appearance / Menus and renamed the Pages and Category menus
This means you are using the WordPress Custom menus. dashboard->appearances->menus is a wordpress feature not a theme feature. The theme adds the section in the upper left of the called 'Theme Locations'. Atahualpa adds two locations menu1 and menu2. Menu1 goes where you use %pages nad menu2 is %cats.

Once you use the WordPress custom menu, when you add a new page to the site, you must MANUALLY update your menus. and remember to mane subpages you drag the menu under and to the right of the parent menu
Old May 5, 2012, 03:20 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Ok, I'm confused now. If that's the case, nothing explains why my sub menus worked when I first did it.

Secondly, I don't quite understand the theme menu versus wordpress. On the menu page, it said my theme supports two menus. Then I just dragged my pages to either menu 1 or menu 2, which I had renamed.

Also unclear what you mean that I have to update manually each time I add a page.

Thanks
Old May 5, 2012, 03:21 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Either way works when I try it. Sub-pages show as sub-menu items and sub-categories show as sub-category items. Also make sure you don't have a menu assigned in Appearance>Menus if you are using the native Atahualpa menu system.
Can you explain this a bit more please?
Old May 5, 2012, 03:25 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Here is a screenshot of a menu with sub-menus. Maybe this will help.

I just updated with proper screenshot.

Last edited by lmilesw; May 5, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:39 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks, I haven't figured out how to do a screenshot yet. But my list of pages in the big menu box on the right doesn't have any indented pages like yours does, which is probably the problem. However, in the "Pages" box on the bottom left where all my pages are listed, the "Genesis" sub page is there and indented. I tried dragging it per the instructions on the wordpress page, but it won't let me drag it over.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I can't drag them over either check them off and press the 'add' button
Old May 5, 2012, 03:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Perhaps a plugin conflict? Do you have many plugins installed? Have you tried deactivating them?
Old May 5, 2012, 03:45 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
when I click the box and click add, the Genesis sub page moves over, but just as its own page, not as a subpage. I guess the question is, how do I make it indent, and why did all this work the first time without me having to do anything extra?
Old May 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Once you use the WordPress custom menu, when you add a new page to the site, you must MANUALLY update your menus. and remember to make subpages you drag the menu under and to the right of the parent menu
remember to make subpages you drag the menu under and to the right of the parent menu
Old May 5, 2012, 04:01 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Looking over all the responses and trying to think it through, I think the reason my submenus worked the first time is because I hadn't yet tried to create custom menus. Maybe the answers to these questions will help me:

1. If I wanted to make custom menus just using Atahualpa, is that not possible? If so, how do I do it? I thought I was using Atahualpa because the menu 1/menu 2 options are on the theme options page.
2. The only thing I really need is two different menus as shown on my site, one for the overall site (Home, About, Etc) and one for the actual content that will be on the site, with sub menus. Is there a way for Atahualpa to handle that or is wordpress custom menus the only option?
Old May 5, 2012, 04:06 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
1. If I wanted to make custom menus just using Atahualpa, is that not possible?
MAKE - no - USE - yes - custom menus are a WordPress feature not a theme feature
Quote:
. The only thing I really need is two different menus as shown on my site, one for the overall site (Home, About, Etc) and one for the actual content that will be on the site, with sub menus. Is there a way for Atahualpa to handle that or is wordpress custom menus the only option?
you need to use two custom menu's that you build and move the pages around manually and make subpages as described before.

you might want to do a google search on 'how to wordpress custom menu' and do some research
Old May 5, 2012, 04:06 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
remember to make subpages you drag the menu under and to the right of the parent menu
Dragging is not working. All that does is highlight everything.
Old May 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you can only drag the menu items after they have been added to the menu. Each new menu item is added to the bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MENU.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1856  
Old May 5, 2012, 04:29 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks for all your help everyone. I watched a video and figured it out. In case anyone else needs this, here's what I had to do:

1. Go to the Pages section to add one or more new pages that you will make your sub pages.
2. Name them and publish them.
3. Go to Appearance / Menus
4. Scroll down to the "Pages" box on the left to see all the pages added.
5. Check the box next to the pages you want as sub pages and click "add to menu". The pages then move over to the right.
6. Move the pages in the right hand box up or down, so that they are underneath the appropriate Parent pages.
7. Once the sub pages are positioned under their parent pages, drag them slightly to the right so that they are indented.

I was stuck on 5-7. I was trying to drag from the pages box on the left and then indent all in one motion, but it can't be done that way.
Old May 5, 2012, 04:31 PM
ctucker541

11 posts · Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
you can only drag the menu items after they have been added to the menu. Each new menu item is added to the bottom
Thanks, that's what I finally realized.