Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

How to add an image slideshow under header image

Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:28 PM
Ysrayl

8 posts · Sep 2011
I want to add an image slider to my wordpress blog. I want it under the header image, and above the menu bar. I have done quite a bit of looking around and researching, but I can't figure out how to get this done. Is there an article or youtube vid that can WALK ME THROUGH this process? I need to know which plugin to download, and how to get it in the header area.

I'm using WordPress version 3.2.1 and Atahualpa 3.7.1

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The basic steps for a slider that supplies php code are
  • Add a new widget area in the Configure Header Area box
  • Install a php aware widget
  • Add the php code for the slider to the php aware widget and put the widget in the new widget area.
If you install a slider that only gives you a shortcode you will need to install a plugin that allows shortcodes to be run in a widget.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:58 PM
Ysrayl

8 posts · Sep 2011
Not to sound rude, but can anyone walk me through this like I asked, and not just give a canned response? Only the first step of what lmilesw said makes sense to me.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
Ysrayl

8 posts · Sep 2011
or direct me to a youtube vid or article that will walk me thru it. I just don't feel like spending 4 hours researching how to do this on my own. My dog died. I need a break.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:26 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I didn't mean this to sound like a canned response. Sometimes a simple guide like this is all people need. Also what you are asking for has many variables. For instance there are all kinds of sliders so to point to one may not meet your needs. However I will try again with a bit more info with some specific links.
  • Add a new widget area to the Configure Header Area box using the following code
    PHP Code:
    <?php bfa_widget_area('name=Slider'); ?>
  • Install the Linkable Title Html and Php Widget
  • Install the slider. One I have used is Pointelle from SliderVilla
  • Go to your site and refresh a couple of time so the new widget area is created. You will now have a new widget area called Slider in Appearance>Widgets
  • Drag the Linkable Title Html and Php Widget into the Slider widget area
  • Add the code for the slider into Linkable Title Html and Php Widget. It will look something like the following where '2' is the slider ID, which you can get from the 'Sliders' settings panel
    PHP Code:
    <?php if ( function_exists'get_pointelle_slider' ) ) {

get_pointelle_slider('2'); } ?>
  • You will also have to add the necessary images, posts, or pages and configure the slider as needed.
  • For complete instructions on how to use that slider you can go here.
These are instructions for one slider and it took me about 15 minutes to write this out and that is knowing the steps because I just installed this in a site. If I had to write instructions for other sliders it would take more time than I am willing to spend. We try to help a bunch of people on this forum and can't even take the 15 minutes I just did for this post for everyone. Otherwise this would be a full time job.

The theme has all sorts of documentation built in and the various plugins usually have sites that explain use and installation. You want an article or YouTube vid on how to do this and I could certainly produce one but I would have to know which slider you want to install and something like that would have to be on an hourly basis as it would probably take me an hour or more to produce the simplest of videos for one particular slider.

Well I am now up to almost 25 minutes on writing this out so I gotta quit. I hope I didn't overdo it but I was a bit miffed with your canned response comment so I felt compelled to be a bit verbose and over the top. I think I have it out of my system now.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:05 PM
Ysrayl

8 posts · Sep 2011
I was wrong for taking a jab with the "canned response" line. I apologize. However, I am glad that it paid off! Great post, sir. It was a very big help!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
JdeJong

9 posts · May 2011
Will the above also work to replace the rotating (or static) header image (%image) in the header area?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Why don't you try it and see.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:09 PM
JdeJong

9 posts · May 2011
Easier said than done, I'm a total WordPress & Atahualpa idiot. I'm trying to implement http://Easing Slider by adding it to the Atahualpa: Header (header.php) but no luck so far. Is this the right approach by the way? Or is the suggested approach you use above much better solution?

My problem with Pointelle Slider is that I have to purchase it, ok $9 is not much, and if I cant get it to work it is $'s down the drain. Once I get easing Slider to work I will feel more confident to purchase Pointelle Slider

Last edited by JdeJong; Jan 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:23 AM
JdeJong

9 posts · May 2011
By the way in you approach/solution when you talk about "Configure Header Area box" do you mean in header.php?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it is a theme option ato->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area

If you are new to wordpress and Atahualpa you should set up a 'play' site and do some experimenting and playing - and then go thru the settings and see what they do. It won't all come in a day (did algebra or chemistry or music?) but by playing you will learn it peice by piece.

There is a tutorial that an forum member wrote that might help you.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:24 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The easing slider can use a shortcode so...
  • Create a New Widget are per the instructions in the theme options. Put the php for creating this new widget area in place of %image
  • Add the shortcode for the slider to the widget
If that is unclear then you do need to become more familiar with the theme options and do some playing as Juggledad suggesgted.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:56 AM
JdeJong

9 posts · May 2011
Tx for the help.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:59 AM
andymorse

1 posts · Jan 2012
Thanks so much for help.