Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Drop down menu not working

Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:41 AM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
I am a new user using atahualpa 3.6.7. Installed everything 3 weeks ago.

I have added categories and sub categories to the menu baar, but no matter what I do they sub categories do not show up on the main menu bar as a drop down to the main category. I have made two dummy posts and put them under categories and sub categories and the cats show up under the posts, but still nothing on the menu bar for any child categories. I do have them under parent categories in the menu.

Someone suggested I switch to twenty eleven to do this portion, I tried it and it totally did not show any categories on the menu bar at all on that theme with no other changes.

I don't know what I am doing wrong as I have googled, followed tutorials, etc and still no drop down menu.

If I add %bar2 to the header area I can then see the subcats, however its in a different bar without the pages. Hoping this clue will trigger something.

Any suggestions would be helpful

www.runtosave.com

Thank you in advance

Oh, and I am a true newbie...

Last edited by runtosave; Oct 11, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
It looks like you don't have the 3.6.7 PATCHES applied. Here are the links.
  • PATCH 367-01: Odd effects when 'CSS: Compress' = 'Yes'
  • PATCH 367-02 is incorporated in PATCH 367-04
  • PATCH 367-03: PHP errors when adding widget areas in index.php
  • PATCH 367-04: Hovering over a Post/Page title only shows "Permanent Link to"
  • PATCH 367-05: Site Title appended after the 'WordPress SEO by Yoast' title
or you could upgrade to 3.7.1
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
thanks for the quick response. I did the quickest thing first which was to upgrade to 3.7.1. That changed nothing. So I guess I am going to have to figure out how to do the patches. If they don't work I will post back.

Greatly appreciate your help and input
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
3.7.1 doesn't need any patches. That is just the first thing to do if using 3.6.7.

Are you using the Atahualpa menus or the WordPress menu in Appearance>Menus?

If using the Atahualpa menus you would have to add the %cat manu to see the cats and sub cats.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
Thanks so much for both of your help. After I upgraded to 3.7.1 I added %CATS to the edit header menu and I get a second menu nav bar of different colors with just some of the CATS in it. They have the drop down menu in them, however no pages in that second bar. My hubby says I should scrap everything and start from scratch. Don't know if that would help.

I am not a programmer and am using the atahualpa menu.

I have left what happens when I ad %cats to the header menu where %pages is.

www.runtosave.com

Last edited by runtosave; Oct 11, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you are using the Atahualpa auto generated menu and add '%cats' to the 'Configure Header Area' option, Then Atahualpa will add a menu bar with a list of each category that you have defined and added to a post. There are no 'pages' just a multi post page of the posts in that category.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:53 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
No need to start from scratch. It's just a matter of understanding a few things. If you use the WordPress menu you can mix pages and categories. See Appearance>Menus. With the Atahualpa menus you can one one menu with pages and another with categories.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:42 AM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
Thank you both again.

I have named menu 1 pages and menu 2 cats in atahualpa. Have put all pages in menu1 and all cats in menu two and added them to each menu accordingly. By doing this I only get what is in menu1 , which are my pages and have a separate barfor CATS. I just can't seem to pinpoint what I am doing wrong for what seems something so simple. I have left site with this for now.

Oh, and this is not how I started, just trying different things.

Hoping one of you will come up with the magic bullet for me.

Also with all this mess, still no drop down menu showing up. My Rite aid on the menu is under drugstore2, but just shows up on main menu.

Last edited by runtosave; Oct 12, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if you are creating the menus in dashboard->appearances->menus, you must do two things to get the menu to show

1) put the menu name in the section labeled 'Theme Locations'
-- Menu 1 corresponds to the %pages option in the Atahualpa
-- Menu 2 corresponds to the %cats option in the Atahualpa

2) at ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area you must use '%pages' so your menu that you named in 'Menu 1' will show up, and '%cats' for the menu you named in 'Menu 2' to show up.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:14 AM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
I have done what you mentioned or tried it recently. In my ATO->Header styling section I have had every dozens of combos of things like %logo %pages %cats with and without %bar1 %bar2 all without the desired result.

Under appearance menu1 I have menu1 now as name with pages listed

Menu2 with all cats listed.

Still not desired result.

If either two of you have time to be given a password and go in I would be honored.

Last edited by runtosave; Oct 12, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:13 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Send me a PM with the login info and I will take a look.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
Thank You.

PM your way. Whenever you have a chance as its been a week almost for me.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I made some changes. It is really a matter of just understanding how the WordPress and Atahualpa menus work. Sometimes that stuff takes a bit to wrap your head around.

For one menu with pages and categories you just put %pages (or %cats) in the Configure Header Area box. That makes one menu area available to WordPress. Then you go to Appearance>Menus and add all the pages and/or categories you want to that menu and drag them to the right a bit if you want a sub menu.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
Thank you so much. Just finished donating. Now going to site to see what you did. Not touching a thing until I get it. So appreciated!!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:13 PM
runtosave

12 posts · Oct 2011
I got it now. The dragging to the right, such a simple concept, was what I was totally missing. Would have never gotten it without your help.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Glad I could help. I will mark the thread as solved.