Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Adding widget to the right of the header image

Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:41 PM
kagorges

10 posts · Nov 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
I cannot get my new widget to sit along side my header -- top right position.

I have used the code in configuring new widgets to create a widget successfully. I have added in the line in configuring the header, so that I have:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=CustomImageMenu&align=3'); ?>
%image

I have tried this with and without the align=3

I have also tried inserting the following in CSS inserts:

#CustomImageMenu {position: relative; margin-top: -135px;
float: right;
margin-right: 10px;}

I'm not a CSS coder so I have no idea if this is correct -- I got it from another forum entry here.

I'm using 3.6.7 with all fixes.

All I get is the image and the widget stacked. I have removed all other widgets, and have placed an image in my created widget. I had to remove this from the site for now, but would like to put it back so that it works -- much better design layout.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What is the URL?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
kagorges

10 posts · Nov 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
http://lanaholmes.com

It's for the interior pages -- the front page is a splash page -- and the site is in process.

I would like the navigation boxes on the right to go all the way up to the top, alongside the header, instead of two rows as I have them now.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Atahualpa is not deigned to run the sidebar to the top. There is a header row, a middle row and a footer row. The middle row has the sidebars.

That said, there are two options you could play with to see if they would satisfy your requirements

(1) add a widget area in the header, make the header image smaller and position the widget area with a couple of the little images next to it

(2) edit index.php and move the header image code into the 'above the loop' area.

I wouldn't guarantee either method will be completely satisfying and both will take some work, but if you have to have the sidebar images go to the top, this is what I would try.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:34 PM
kagorges

10 posts · Nov 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Thank you! I think I'll just keep the modified layout I came up with rather than playing with the theme some more. My next step I think might be to look at creating the layout in ThemeFrame.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:34 AM
ldmerriam

1 posts · Sep 2011
New York, NY
Juggledad--I am having the same problem. I just want my phone number and email to be on the right in all the dead white space (URL www.MerriamAssociates.com ). I tried making the logo narrower--taking maybe half of the header space, but that doesn't work. I'm not a php coder, so maybe what seems so simple is impossible?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
just add a <div>my phone numberxxxxx</div> to the Configure Header Area and position it with a CSS Insert
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
rickheck

139 posts · Oct 2009
(adding this to this thread, even though it's old, since I found a problem if you try to position a widget over the header area)

If you do that, then any clickable area inside the widget that you place over the header image will use the 'click' of the header image.

To fix, you need to add additional CSS to set the header-image-container div slightly wider than the image itself, but not wide enough to spill into the widget area you placed over the header.

Code is

Code:
div.header-image-container {
	width: 620px;   /* change this to slightly wider than your header image */
}
It may be that a z-index value for your widget area might compensate for a full width image; didn't try it.

I had to fix it for this site www.embersandflame.com in order to have the social icons and search area on the right side of the header area.

Perhaps this will help anyone searching for this problem.

...Rick...