Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

[SOLVED] Use a name for single page

Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:42 AM
webster

48 posts · Apr 2011
I have looked and looked, in wordpress forums , here and more and cannot find an easy way (except for .httaccess rewrites) to just name one page domain.com/thatpagename.

Pluggins I have searched (many no longer supported) for permalink control want to rewrite all page systems, or all new pages, or by category or tag or date....

I just want one page to be "domain.com/thatpagesname"

Ideas? solved somewhere I overlooked?

If asking about this here is a faux pas, I apologize preemptively.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'm confused, do you mean you want all the others to be in the format 'domain.com/?page_id=32' and only that one page to show as domain.com/thatpagesname?

remember there are no actual pages, they are all built dynamically from the database using the page id number
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:30 PM
webster

48 posts · Apr 2011
Thank you juggledad,

I have no need, though no objection, to changing any other page name. I can, from what I gather, alter the permalink to /date/name, as going with domain.com/name (title actually) has a warning that it can affect load times a good deal, the wordpress warning is there, and its bold, so I assume its pretty noticeable.

My client would like this page to be set this way, or as page.domain.com, but my parent host charges for sub-domains at the same rate as domains, and they would prefer not to contract for the added expense ongoing. I assume they intend to use it on print ads.

Most everything they want is easy to do, so I would prefer not to disappoint them on this.

I am assuming that I will have to figure out the syntax for a .httaccess workaround.

But thanks in advance for your attention.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Can you post the exact code you are considering putting in the permalink box?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:40 AM
webster

48 posts · Apr 2011
Okay, I think I am NOT going to use the wordpress permalink Custom Structure

which would be /%postname%/

as they say:

Quote:
For performance reasons, it is not a good idea to start your permalink structure with the category, tag, author, or postname fields.
Quote:
WordPress stores a lot of extra information in its database (so much that sites with lots of Pages have experienced difficulties). So, it is best for the first structure tag to be a numeric one, such as /%year%/%postname%/. (Some people recommend /%post_id%/%postname%/ which works for performance reasons but others recommend against it because it is unfriendly to users in the many contexts in which users interact with URLs.) See Otto's technical writeup on the topic as well as this wp-testers discussion.
AND, it requires that ALL pages use this new naming format, which is at the very least unnecessary, and leads to another couple of problems for me, not the least of which is slowing down the site.

SO, I have a couple webpages open on the scary scary .httaccess file, as I think that's the only way to do the one page without slowing down the site. Like 'html redirect code' -which I could also use, (domain.com/page would have

It isnt acceptable to my client to put domain.com/date/pagename for this page.

Really thank you juggledad, but I dont see a wordpress/plugin/atahualpa way around this.

(I did check into creating a subdirectory, installing another instance of wordpress for just that page, clever right?, but the "second instance" page will also contain a need to have access to the login rights for users of the "first instance" of wordpress, another can of worms, can of potential security problems, config problems and general madness.)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
is this a page that would be static? If so, just code it and then use the WordPress menu and add it in as a custom menu.

You could try this: create the page in WordPress, then go view it - view the source, copy it - create a text file and save it as xxxxx.html. Now you FTP that to the site and use the custom menu link to go to it and you have the page as mydomain.com/mypage

Then unpublish the page in WordPress (keep it for future changes)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:44 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
What I use for many of my sites for permalink is
HTML Code:
/%category%/%postname%/
This will show the category for posts and just the page name for pages. I haven't noticed and "speed" differences.

You could also use a redirect plugin instead of the .htaccess file.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:42 AM
webster

48 posts · Apr 2011
Thank you for both replies, you are a fount of information and wisdom. I have now several ways to allow my client to distribute domain.com/name as a link, and now must just choose one that causes the least difficulties, your last solution being one more.

rewrite or redirect are probably the best choices for ease of use, lack of upkeep and low impact on site speed.

It is intended as a user based site, it could grow a good deal, simple wins this time I think, I am also trying to keep plugins down, a couple of the plugins I like are either interferers, or easily confused by other plugins.

Thanks again,
webster
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:51 AM
kunz

12 posts · Sep 2011
Sydney
Hi guys,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I've got a similar problem right now and i'm tossing up between using .htaccess and using the above permalinks. I noticed webster posted that there were potential performance issues using /%postname%/ .

Is there a reason why this is so? Also, is it really that bad? Is there a way to benchmark this particular method to test for performance?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:15 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I usually use one of the default permalinks such as
/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/
OR
/%category%/%postname%/
The main reason as I see it for not using /%postname%/ is that if you you have a post and page named the same WordPress will get "confused" since the permalinks will be the same. By adding /%category%/ or going with one of the defaults you eliminate that potential conflict.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:36 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
FYI - when you use the permalinks, WP creates/modifies your .htaccess file - that's where the renaming happens
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
kunz

12 posts · Sep 2011
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
FYI - when you use the permalinks, WP creates/modifies your .htaccess file - that's where the renaming happens
Ah so WP writes directly to .htaccess?

Didn't know that! I thought it had a mapping system of some sort (Db/controller file etc).

Cheers for this guys. I've decided to just go with:

/%category%/%postname%/