Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

Printing "footer" along with page content

Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:24 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
I put copyright & contact info in the footer, & discovered the default print copy doesn't display this content. I want that content in the footer to be printed, when someone prints out a page from my site:
http://www.PerformanceAllies.com
(I moved WP & Ata attributions & links to my "Links" page.)

After much searching & discussing with people far more technically savvy than I, I was told to remove a phrase from the css.php file (specifically, in the section titled "Print Style", following a list of code that begins with "#header", I removed the phrase: display: none; ).

As a result, the page DOES print with the footer, but it also prints the nav tabs & the *space* where the banner is displayed (but the banner, which has my logo, name & tagline does not print). The resulting print copy wastes the top 2".

My first choice would be to print out the footer along with page content, but that phrase deletion gives me (almost) all, or nothing. (My second choice would be to print the banner, if it's going to print that area of the page.)

Is there a way to modify Ata to generate the footer in print copies (but not nav tabs & banner space)?

Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:44 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Printing out a whole page is what a screen capture utility does or the print screen button. Try going to any site and see how much of the page prints and you will see what I mean.

Another thing is that when you start messing with theme files you will have to remember what you did as these changes will all be overwritten if or when you upgrade.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
Thanks for the speedy response, lmilesw !

I expect most of my prospects/site visitors will simply print as usual, not 'screen capture'... that's how I (& everyone I've seen) print a page I'm interested in.

Pages on my old site, created with Claris HomePage, were printed in full, exactly as they appeared in the browser window. And I did try printing my Yahoo Mail page & the homepage of a local biz association I used to belong to, & the whole pages were printed.

I've made a few changes from default, & meticulously documented all, since I'm not terribly savvy about the terminology or programming of Ata & WP. I've also been warned against upgrading by people who are tech savvy, since (according to them) incompatibilities can arise: I have a site working how I want, I shouldn't risk an upgrade that might break the site.

Am I to understand that the phrase I deleted is the only change I can make to what's printed (or not printed)?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Some web pages may print fine such as static html pages and others may print some of the info on the page. There are plugins for WordPress that put an icon on an article to print that article. To print the whole web page will often be problematic.

For instance if you go to wordpress.org and print the page you will not see the top banner or the "Code is Poetry" line at the bottom. Bottom line is web pages are not meant to be printed in total. I know that many do that but that can both waste a lot of ink and if the page is long it will waste a lot of paper when all they want is some of the info on the page.

I would suggest looking at the print article plugins and give people an easy way to print important information. I wouldn't want to even try to figure out how to get an entire page to print as it is too easy to do with current screen capture tools. It may be possible but the time it would take to say nothing of messing with the theme code which could break something else are enough to keep me from pursuing this goal.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:18 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
I continue to struggle with phrasing my requests in language that tech-savvy people can answer...

I neglected to put the question here as I did at the outset when I posted to the WP forum: I looked at 400 "print" plugins, but NONE of them do what I'm looking for (simply printing the footer on the page, along with the page content I create) ... or perhaps they do, & it's not in plain English & I don't understand what the plugins do.

I should have included that, when I first posted, but since the modification to <css.php> I logically concluded that some other tweak would narrow the change to the footer, not the top of the webpage.

The majority of visitors to my site <http://www.PerformanceAllies.com> are NOT technically savvy. Screen shots, downloads, etc. aren't how these people print, they simply use the common "print" function in the Operating System, & take what they get.

Re: what I'm trying to accomplish, I don't know what's defined within Ata, or WP, or is compatible with Ata. So, I'm posting to these two forums, hoping someone who IS tech savvy can direct me to something that works: is there a plugin (or some other solution) that will allow printing of the info I put in the footer?

I did get a suggestion from someone else: "turn off everything in the footer and hand-code your footer into a custom widget area." This person couldn't tell me how to turn off the footer, tho I suspect I could find a way to place the critical info at the bottom of every page, solving my problem.

I'll live with any such solution.

Thanks,
Ric
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:11 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You could add text to HTML Inserts: Body Bottom. That should print.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:55 AM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
It *does* print (tho I'll have to replace a couple of coded bits with actual text).

How do I turn off the footer altogether now?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:50 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
In the footer style box add the following
HTML Code:
display:none;
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
I deleted the default info, replaced it with <default:none;>, & the footer styling & text disappear.

(I put the copyright & contact info at the bottom of the page, rather than off the page in the 'frame.' I'll have to do this for every page, & some of it will take some finessing to get the right position.)

When I do this, there's a 0.7" space below the last line of text on the page (my contact info), & I wonder if that can be trimmed down? I can't figure out where that is specified...

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I hope you meant display:none;

default:none should not do anything.

If you want the same text on the bottom of all pages just add the text to the appropriate "Footer" boxes in ATO>Edit Post/Page Info Items.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:31 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
Yes: display:none;

I found the field you recommended, & pasted in the HTML & content, but noticed it displayed as all caps; I saw no way to change that. Also put all the info as one run-on "sentence" & had to experiment with getting it to split the "phrases." It did reduce the bottom margin from 0.7" to 0.5"; I'd hoped to cut it in half. ;-(

Before seeing your message, I had already put the copyright & contact info on all 23 pages, placing it at visually appropriate location. Six one, half dozen the other at this point....
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I the pages are going to remain static no big deal but if you want to change the caps all you have to do is go to ATO>Style Posts & Pages and take out text-transform:uppercase from the footer box.