Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Need general startup advice

Old May 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
rickhan

7 posts · May 2011
Pacific NW, USA
Never did much with Websites before, other than a few simple static sites. I'm trying to build a portal site of general Celtic interest content plus some personal blogs. I need a good highspeed intro to WordPress in general, and Atahualpa in particular.

I need explanation of all the parts of a site and what they are used for, then a planning list. Web searches haven't found what I need yet. I program in VB.Net and C#.Net, but not php, though I can learn quickly.

Any recommendations?

Current site:
http://tirnanog.com/WordPress/
The old static site is at:
http://tirnanog.com/

thanks,
RickH
Old May 4, 2011, 03:15 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Wow... I don't know where to start. Actually I think your best bet is to first look through the Atahualpa theme options. That will give you a pretty good idea of what can be done with the theme.

WordPress.org has all sorts of info on WordPress in general and a search through the plugins will give you an idea of what can be done with a WordPress site.

W3Schools.com can help you with CSS which is really important to get a handle on over php. I sometimes use php code snippets but that is about it for me and php.

Then it is a matter of "playing" around. I have a site that is just used for testing plugins etc. that I don't care if it gets blown up and I recommend having a test site especially if you are learning.

Then there is this forum for asking questions as needed.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:13 PM
rickhan

7 posts · May 2011
Pacific NW, USA
Ok, thanks, I'm reading through some of the WordPress.org docs, which is helping me understand the basics.