Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Removing Title and Space from Nextgen Slideshow Widget

Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:27 PM
SLIweb

6 posts · Feb 2011
Philadelphia MSA
Send a message via ICQ to SLIweb Send a message via Skype™ to SLIweb
I'm stuck. I've spent nearly 8 hours reading posts here, at WP, and at Nextgen (which sends me to WP) and seem to be missing some critical piece of understanding to interpret what I am reading.

I have my Nextgen slideshow working perfectly in the left sidebar - - EXCEPT when I leave the Slideshow Widget Title Field blank, it automatically inserts "Slideshow" as the title immediately above the slideshow in the Widget Title style I've specified. If I put just one character into the title I get that one letter displayed in the same place.

I figured out how to change the style of all widget titles using ATO>Style Widgets>Title. Unfortunately that option doesn't give me the effect I want as it impacts all Widget Titles. I only want to suppress the title on this one Widget, not all of them.

I've read about using "CSS inserts" to suppress the title, but can't figure out where I'd put them. I am assuming they'd go at the bottom of the ATO Style.css file or maybe at the end of the Nextgen style .css, but not sure, and not sure if there are any other special issues I should consider. Perhaps I just need to go through a tutorial at the WP site? If so what do you recommend?

Trying to keep this fairly simple and within ATO standards as I want to be able to update without risk of catastrophe or repeating this misery later on.

I am brand new to WP and ATO and have already contributed to both Flynn and Juggledad, so I am hoping I am posting in the right place with the right details. Here is my configuration:

WP version - 3.05
ATO version - 3.6.4
Nextgen Gallery Plugin - 1.7.4
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you could look at the generated source of the page and fine the code showing the widget. You should find some unique identifiers for it (ID and classes) and you could construct a CSS Selector and use the rule 'display:none;'. This will cause the title not to display.

If I had the URL I could take a look and guide you in creating the selector.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, lets look at the start of the left sidebar where your widget is. You have
HTML Code:
<!-- Left Sidebar -->
<td id="left">

<div id="slideshow-3" class="widget widget_slideshow">
	<div class="widget-title">
		<h3>Slideshow</h3>
	</div>		
	<div class="ngg_slideshow widget">
and there is your title 'Slideshow' that you want to get rid of. you can see it is an <h3>. You could just code a css insert of
HTML Code:
h3 {display:none;}
but then it would effect all H3's on the page.

Looking again, you see the H3 is inside a <div...>...</div> and the div has a class so you could code
HTML Code:
div.widget-title h3 {display:none;}
but that would affect all h3 that are in a div with a class of 'widget-title'

Looking again, the '<div class="widget-title">' is inside another dive and it has an ID!! An ID has to be unique on the page (classes can be used multiple times.) So now you can code a unique selector for the rule as
HTML Code:
div#slideshow-3 div.widget-title h3 {display:none;}
or you could shorten it as
HTML Code:
div#slideshow-3 div.widget-title {display:none;}
since there is nothing but the H3 in the title div and you can cut it down more and use the shorthand and you get
HTML Code:
#slideshow-3 .widget-title {display:none;}
Ok, class is out for the day, but there will be a test on Monday.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:59 PM
runnerb0y

67 posts · Nov 2010
good stuff juggledad! On the test, I will be using crib notes so I'm *likely* to get the answer correct.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:13 AM
SLIweb

6 posts · Feb 2011
Philadelphia MSA
Send a message via ICQ to SLIweb Send a message via Skype™ to SLIweb
thanks Juggledad!

I inserted the HTML code in the CSS Inserts field on Atahualpa's HTML/CSS Inserts tab. I hope this is the right place. It seems to be the right place since it worked perfectly.

So, now that you've helped me get it working, do I need to worry about documenting this insert in my website notes so I can "re-do" the custom insert on the next update of ATO? Or will ATO Update automatically put this insert back in upon updating?

THANKS! I'm sending another $5 just as a thank you for helping to overcome the frustration factor
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:35 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Anything you add in the CSS Inserts, or any of the theme options, is added to the Atahualpa options and stored in a row of the wp_options table in the database. So it will be there and carry over for each upgrade.