Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Creating a Atahualpa 3 child theme for easy upgrade

Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:17 AM
desean

7 posts · Jul 2009
I got interested in the concept of child theme (read this and this) and thought I could use child theme to make automatic updating of the theme easy.

The idea is to install Atahualpa3 within Wordpress (i.e. installed to /themes/atahualpa) so that automatic update can work. Then create a child theme (e.g. /themes/atahualpachild) so that I can throw my header image files, favicon, etc to the child theme directory. This way when the main theme is update, my header images are not removed and continue to work with the updated theme.

I got the child theme to work but it is still trying to pull the images (header and favicon) from /themes/atahualpa instead of /themes/atahualpachild although I have activated the child theme.

Anyone managed to get this to work or can point me to the right direction to get it working? Thanks.

Note: I also posted this on Wordpress.org here -> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/c...r-easy-upgrade

Last edited by desean; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add link to wordpress.org post
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
desean

7 posts · Jul 2009
Anyone with any idea?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:55 AM
ribbu

5 posts · Jul 2009
Have you looked at Easy Theme Upgrades?:

http://ithemes.com/a-better-faster-w...pgrade-themes/

I can't tell if it only works for their themes or if it works for all themes but it makes it sound like it's using a similar idea to child themes but automating it. That being said, I don't really understand any of this, but am curious about using the plugin.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:00 AM
desean

7 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbu
Have you looked at Easy Theme Upgrades?:

http://ithemes.com/a-better-faster-w...pgrade-themes/

I can't tell if it only works for their themes or if it works for all themes but it makes it sound like it's using a similar idea to child themes but automating it. That being said, I don't really understand any of this, but am curious about using the plugin.
i took a look but i don't think it help in what i am trying to do. the additional thing the plugin does is to backup the existing theme before upgrading.

not what i am looking for. i am looking to update the theme without having to "reapply" my custom images again.

thanks for the idea anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
Sqeze

6 posts · Jul 2010
Kronberg, Nr. Frankfurt (Germany)
I'd like to add my vote to the question. It really is inconvenient if you are maintaining several sites to have to upload the favicons and header images after each update to Atahualpa.

Isn't there an "official" migration path that avoids this problem? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Sqeze; Feb 24, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The issue is that any 'theme' option has to be in the theme folder (WordPress requirement) I'm hoping to get the developer to put in an option to use the theme image folder, or another image folder.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
Sqeze

6 posts · Jul 2010
Kronberg, Nr. Frankfurt (Germany)
That would be great! Thanks.