Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Styles dumped into Header.php transfer to stylesheet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Newdust.com

16 posts · Nov 2009
Unhappy Styles dumped into Header.php transfer to stylesheet

Hello BFA,

I really don't like the dynamic CSS aspect of the Atahualpa theme for one reason only: it adds 650+ lines of code to the header.php file. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example:

PHP Code:
/* This is pulled straight from the header.php file */

a:link, a:visited, a:active {
    color: #<?php echo $bfa_ata_link_color?>
    font-weight: <?php echo $bfa_ata_link_weight?>
    text-decoration: <?php echo $bfa_ata_link_default_decoration?>
}
The rules are pulled from whatever is typed into the "Body, Text & Links" menu within the Atahualpa Theme Options.

CSS needs to be kept separate from HTML and PHP files. It's the proper way to do it, and it makes for cleaner front-end code. There has to be a better way for the Atahualpa theme to do this so as not to clog up our PHP files with something that shouldn't be in a PHP file to begin with. I've tried pulling all of the CSS declarations out of header.php and keeping them in a style.php file (based on an article I read at css-tricks.com - click here to read ). This did not work however - the PHP was not properly executed, almost as if it were automatically commented out of the file.

And so I wonder: has anyone successfully separated the CSS from the Header.php file into it's own file?
The obvious solution would be to just ignore the Atahualpa Theme Options as a means of editing the CSS, and just dumping the generated CSS into the style.css file. That would defeat the purpose of the Atahualpa Theme editor, which I think is a great feature that needs to stay intact.