Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

[SOLVED] Removing titles on single pages

Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
artaud

8 posts · Mar 2011
I would like to have no title on my "Home" page (and possibly not on certain others in the future). How do I go about doing this? I have read the now closed thread "How to get rid of page titles" (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3960), specifically post #4, but this would seem to remove all page titles. I want to be selective. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You first have to determine the selector for the home page. The way I do that is to view the page source and search for "body class". You will find something like
HTML Code:
<body class="home blog logged-in"> OR <body class="page page-id-8 logged-in">
So you would use a selector of
HTML Code:
body.home OR body.page-id-8
and add the selector for the title (I use Firebug with Firefox to determine that) and your full CSS to hide the title would be
HTML Code:
body.home .post-headline {
display: none;
}
OR
HTML Code:
body.page-id-8 .post-headline {
}
All you would do to hide the title is put the CSS in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts. You of course may have a different page id.

Last edited by lmilesw; Apr 13, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:12 AM
artaud

8 posts · Mar 2011
Thanks But I just tried copying the html you suggested into ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts with the correct page ID, and all that happened was that the code I entered appeared at the top of my page above the header..!

Given the number of threads I've read about this issue (although mostly regarding older versions of the theme, so no use to me), I am surprised that the developers haven't included an easier means of toggling titles on specific pages.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:32 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you read Larry's post again, no where does he say to put the HTML in CSS Inserts. He says to put the CSS there.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:47 AM
artaud

8 posts · Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
If you read Larry's post again, no where does he say to put the HTML in CSS Inserts. He says to put the CSS there.
I realise that, but he did not specify where exactly to put it. I can't edit the page source directly (at least I don't think so...), but would have to edit one of the files in the "Editor", but which one? "bfa_body_class.php"? "bfa_body_classes.php"? I have read on other threads that it is preferable to use HTML/CSS inserts to make changes (rather than directly editing the CSS), so that they will be carried over in theme updates...

I am rather new to CSS editing, but am trying to do the best I can
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
CSS goes in 'ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts'
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry for not adding the "where". If you notice the time stamp it was 1:15am. My brain was not fully functional.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:46 AM
artaud

8 posts · Mar 2011
@ lmilesw - I assumed that's where you meant, but then juggledad suggested that I'd misinterpreted you (but apparently not). My home page id is 65, so I pasted the following in 'ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts' after the other inserts I'd made there:

body.page-id-65 .post-headline {
}

All that happened is that this line of code is now displayed at the top of every page above the header.
What am I doing wrong?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:54 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Could you either post the content of your CSS Inserts or export and attach a settings file to a reply.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
sorry, but you said
Quote:
Thanks But I just tried copying the html you suggested into ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
and I assumed you copied the first line in his post (the HTML) vrs the last line (the CSS)

Providing a URL goes a long way to speed up these issues since we can see what you put in by looking at the source of the page.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
artaud

8 posts · Mar 2011
@ juggledad - no problemo
@ lmilesw - I seem to have fixed the issue! This is what the content of my CSS Inserts looked like:

h1 { font-size: 34px; line-height: 1.2; margin: 0.3em 0 10px; }
h2 { font-size: 28px; line-height: 1.3; margin: 1em 0 .2em; }
h3 { font-size: 24px; line-height: 1.3; margin: 1em 0 .2em; }
h4 { font-size: 19px; margin: 1.33em 0 .2em; }
h5 { font-size: 1.3em; margin: 1.67em 0; font-weight: bold; }
h6 { font-size: 1.15em; margin: 1.67em 0; font-weight: bold; }
div#menu1 {
border: solid 1px #FFFFFF;
}
<style type="text/css">
p.small {line-height:90%;}
p.big {line-height:150%;}
</style>
body.page-id-65 .post-headline {
}

I think that the "h1-h6" Insert was added by my friend who installed WP on the server for me. I added the next Insert to get rid of the dashed grey lines either side of the centrally aligned menu. The third Insert was (as I'm sure you can tell) to adjust line spacing. However I subsequently found that I could adjust line spacing for all pages in 'ATO>Body, Text & Links>Body Style>line-height: 20px;' but forgot to remove the Insert. When you asked me to post my CSS Inserts I decided to have one last fiddle and so deleted the Insert relating to line height to see if it made a difference. Lo' and behold it did! Now when I place your suggested code with the correct page-id the page title disappears as I wished. A further fiddle revealed that it seemed to be the presence of '<style' & '</style>' rather than what was between those that affected things. So I have learned something
URL is http://user27263.vs.easily.co.uk/ but it is still under development/writing.

Thank you both for your help and your patience! I always try and get as far as I can on my own, through this and other forums, as well as general searching, but sometimes I just get stuck. I don't know what the etiquette is as regards donations (overall vs moderator), but seeing as it's my first posting/donation I will be making it to overall BytesForAll/Atahualpa development. Hope that's OK