Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Show sub menu for top level ancestor

Old May 2, 2013, 07:11 AM
tysonlt

4 posts · May 2013
Hi,

I'm very sorry if this is already on the forum, but my search was fruitless.

I am working on a site: http://backgammon.edieandbup.com/

What I want is for the left sidebar to show a menu of the child pages of the current TOP LEVEL menu. So when you click 'WHO ARE WE?' you get the two child pages listed on the left - all good.

What I want is when you click one of those pages, the menu on the side stays as it was. As it is, it lists children of the current page.

I know how to get the top-level ancestor:

PHP Code:
$parent array_reverse(get_post_ancestors($post->ID));
$first_parent get_page($parent[0]); 
I poked around in the code of the theme, but got to wp_nav_menu() in bfa_new_wp3_menus.php - I couldn't see how to specify the parent.

I have tried a number of plugins and got closest with Custom Menu Wizard, which lets you specify that you want children of the current page. However I want children of the top-level ancestor of the current page.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you for your help.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Create a custom menu for each page, add a custom menu widget for each menu.
Install the 'widget logic' plugin and set each menu widget toonly display on it's page.