Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Anyway to make this theme load faster?

Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
johnd28

29 posts · Sep 2009
Anyway to make this theme load faster?

Hi,

I have a wordpress CMS site running on this theme that is loading kind of slowly.

When I look at the code of the pages generated, it seems there's a lot of code at the top before the actual content. Is all this code necessary? Doesn't it slow down the site?

Another question is how to make the center container load before the left sidebar. This will allow the readers to start reading while both sidebars load.

How can this be done?

Thanks, John
p.s. any other tips to make the site load faster will be appreciated.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:22 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
See Theme Options -> Configure CSS & JS to make these files external

Use Wp Super Cache or WP Cache 2 as plugin, make sure you run a PHP cache like XCache, have mod_deflate (Apache 2) or mod_gzip (Apache 1) or Gzip (other webservers) enabled by the web host. The performance of the web server (hardware and software) and MySQL server can have a much greater impact than optimizations on the theme.

The center column content cannot be loaded before the left sidebar in this type of layout. This is the price for the better stability of this layout compared to "source ordered" DIV only, floated layouts. You'd have to put both sidebars on the right sidebars if you're concerned about the source order.

Combining all plugin CSS files into one CSS file and all plugin JS files into one JS would also help. PHP Speedy is supposed to do that. http://www.turleando.com.ar/autoptimize/ might be better according to http://andybeard.eu/2065/wordpress-comment-seo.html
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:29 PM
sharialexander

5 posts · Sep 2009
Sorry to bug you on this, but I've been searching the forum and haven't been able to solve this for myself.

My blog (www.presentingmatters.com/blog) is still running very slow. I have made the CSS and JS an external file.

I'm confused about the advice about gzip. Is that a plug-in or do I call my host to make that adjustment?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks bunches!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:10 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Gzip or mod_deflate is something the host would have to set or install
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:57 PM
johnd28

29 posts · Sep 2009
Hi Flynn,

Thank you for your suggestions, I will talk with my hosting company which is godaddy.

However, I have tried t turn CSS and JS files to external with horrible results. The blog just lost its shape. I am using supercache but the blog is still loading super slowly.

In IE it is even worse than Firefox and I am losing visitors. I don't know why IE behaves much worse, but it's close to impossible to go from one page to the next.

My blog is a CMS at http://www.WorldofDiets.com

Do you have any idea on how to make it fly?

Thanks
John

Last edited by johnd28; Sep 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
are you on a shared server or a dedicated one? That can make a big difference.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Use Wp Super Cache or WP Cache 2 as plugin, make sure you run a PHP cache like XCache, have mod_deflate (Apache 2) or mod_gzip (Apache 1) or Gzip (other webservers) enabled by the web host. The performance of the web server (hardware and software) and MySQL server can have a much greater impact than optimizations on the theme.
About Gzip - I went to my host (godaddy.com) and their help page says to make gzip work by adding the following code to the very top of my web pages above the DOCTYPE:
<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); ?>

Two questions:
1. Does this make sense with Atahualpa?
2. How do it do this?
Thanks, Ed
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You will have to edit header.php and put it in - watch the php/HTML escaping

As to if it is a good idea, try it and see if it improves things.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
juggledad - you said "watch the php/HTML escaping" - Forgive me, please, but I don't know what that means. Ed
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I mean you have to be careful when adding php or Html/ In this case you should be fine, I jut looked at header.php and you can drop that in 'as is' as the first line with no worries