Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

[SOLVED] Quick/Dirty Comment Numbering

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
rickheck

139 posts · Oct 2009
[SOLVED] Quick/Dirty Comment Numbering

Here's how I did a quick comment numbering. No add-ins required, just edit two files (after making backup copies, of course).

Use the Editor to open the bfa_custom_comments.php file. Add the following after about line 4 (the "global $bfa_ata" line):

Code:
global $mycommentnumber;
$mycommentnumber=0;
In the same file, insert code similar to this where you want the comment number to appear ( I put it just before the 'printf" command at about line 25)

Code:
echo "(# " . $mycommentnumber . ") ";
Save the bfa_custom_comments.php file.

Then edit the "comments.php" file. After about line 12 (where it says "You can start editing below"), add these two lines:

Code:
global $mycommentnumber ;
$mycommentnumber = 0;
Save the file, and your comments will have a numbering like this:

Code:
(# 12)
The number will have the same style as the date/time line in the comment. If you want to change that, then use something like this in the bfa_custom_comments.php file:

Code:
echo "<div class = 'mycommentnumberstyle'>(# " . $mycommentnumber . ") </div>";
And then add the 'mycommentnumberstyle' style to the "add CSS/HTML inserts" section in the Atahualpa theme options.

Of course, make a backup copy of the files before you edit them, and save a copy of the changes somewhere so you can re-do them in case of a update.

Enjoy: it's not fancy, but it will work.

...Rick...