Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Problems with aligning footer widget

Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:41 AM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
ATA 3.7.8
WP 3.4.2

I've tried almost a dozen different ways to space these footer widgets out (space between widgets and outer widget borders lining up with edges of my layout) through Fbug and various code copied from the forums, but they won't budge.

EDIT: CUT PREVIOUS CODE - No longer relevant to thread, solution below.

I am certainly a hack, but assume it is a selector of some sort I do not have right? Spacing, widget text inheriting footer font color, container height are the main things I want to adjust.

Thanks for any point in the right direction!

Last edited by cantplay; Sep 14, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
If you want all three areas to be the same size you could put (as an example) 20px padding on the right side of the left area, 10px right and left padding on the center area and 20px padding on the left side of the right area. This would give you 30px spacing between areas.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
Thank you, that is exactly what I am trying to do.

But, when I try to put padding values in a single line of code, nothing moves for me. I think it is my selector?

For instance, I am trying to figure out the prefix and the <something> to get the desired result.

div#<something> {padding-left:20px;}
.<something> {padding-left:20px;}
#<something> {padding-left:20px;}

Last edited by cantplay; Sep 12, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I see some strange code on your site. But looking at what you want to do I might choose to put a one celled widget area in that spot and then use a table in a text widget or perhaps a column plugin to create the three areas. Bottom line this would require a bit of time to work out but hopefully that gives you a direction.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
Thanks for checking it out. I will try a different approach. When you say "strange", is that serious, like malware or a plug in adding slashes where they shouldn't be? or is it more strange like a guy has cobbled together a site compiled from random problem solving bits (or worse heh)?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:36 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try this in CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
td#footer {
padding:0px
}

#footer_1 div.footer-widget {margin-right: 10px;}
#footer_2 div.footer-widget {margin-right: 5px; margin-left: 5px;}
#footer_3 div.footer-widget {margin-left: 10px;}
and if it doesn't work, disable ALL your plugins - something is generating a backslash (\) before a double quote (") in the footer and I expect is is one of your plugins.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:15 AM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
Backed out of what I was doing before with LMW's help and JD picked up on the newer attempt.

Added the following to Footer: Content

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer&cells=3&align=9&align _2=2&align_3=3&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

When adding the following in CSS Inserts you get what looks like space between the widgets, observing the spacing of the headers, but when coloring widget backgrounds, they all run together.

table#footer td{
padding:3px;
}

Taking the above out and copying JD's code to CSS Inserts worked great to get the exact positioning relative to my layout, but the widget backgrounds are still running into each other and making them look like one big area. I can certainly make this look work though.

td#footer {
padding:0px
}

#footer_1 div.footer-widget {margin-right: 10px;}
#footer_2 div.footer-widget {margin-right: 5px; margin-left: 5px;}
#footer_3 div.footer-widget {margin-left: 10px;}

Is there any way the footer widgets can just "inherit" all the exact same styling and spacing between widgets to look just like the widget "News" in the right sidebar? My (wrong) assumption was that existing widget styling would be the default when adding new widget areas. EDIT: This thread adequately addresses the new widget spacing and styling. Think we're on our way!

Thank you guys again for all your help! This is my first active request, but your forum work has helped me numerous times in even getting to this point.

Last edited by cantplay; Sep 13, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I noticed you just implemented a border to give you the space between boxes. Great idea!!!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
Thanks, yeah I got it from jrobie23 in that other thread. I think it precludes the use of the gray border to copy the sidebar widget exactly, but gets it 99% of the way there.