Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Challenge: Creative use of custom widgets and various feeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
Gail_NK

128 posts · Oct 2010
Challenge: Creative use of custom widgets and various feeds

Theme version: Atahualpa 3.7.9
Wordpress version: WordPress 3.4.1 with the built in RSS widget
Related plugins installed:
Dynamic Widgets
List Category Posts
My Category Order
My Link Order
RSS Image Feed

Folks, here's my challenge:

1. I want to use multiple custom widgets on my home page - with Dynamic Widgets I can select only those I want on the Home page.
2. I want to feed the most recent post - by category - into specific widgets. For example, I envision 3 widgets side by side in the center column, each one representing a different category and each one displaying the image and excerpt of the most recent post in that category. I know there are themes designed to do this, but I really, really love Atahualpa and want to figure out how to do this if possible.
3. At the same time, I want the image displayed to be a different size for different widgets - at least one will be larger. Can I define thumbnails to behave differently depending on which widget they are displayed in?
4. I want to mange the text in the feed so that sometimes it is right justified, sometimes left justified.
5. Finally, I want to decrease the padding/margin in the existing My Link Order feeds so that the lists are left aligned with the title.

Quite a list!

Finally, please keep in mind that I know just enough coding to be very dangerous - I am NOT a trained or vastly experienced HTML/CSS coder. Sometimes the terms used around here go sailing way over my head!

Many thanks for all the assistance I've gotten from this Forum - you guys are the best!!!

Gail N-K