Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Help! With Breadcrumb NavXT & syntax error that has my site shut down.

Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
Ok. I'm trying to put breadcrumbs on my website along with the dropdown menu.

I installed and activated Breadcrumb NavXT 3.7.0. It states I have to put the follow code into the header.

HTML Code:
<div class='breadcrumbs&'>
<?php
if(function_exists('bcn_display'))
{
    bcn_display();
}
?>
</div>
I read several of the posts and I thought I had the right area to put the code

HTML Code:
// Empty setting "levels" same as 0
   if ( $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'] == '' ) 
      $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'] = 0; 	

echo bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata['sorting_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'], 
      $bfa_ata['titles_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['exclude_page_menu_bar']);
I put the code in after here using the Theme Editor. I clicked the Update File button, however, when I did I got the following syntax error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '&' in /wordpress/wp-content/themes/atahualpa361/functions/bfa_header_config.php on line 65

I took the brumbcrumb code out and tried to update the file but I still get the syntax error. My site is down.

1. Did I select the wrong area in the bfa_header_config.php to put the code?
2. Is using the theme editor the wrong tool to use to edit code like this?
3. If the arrangement is %image %pages %bar1 %bar2, is it possible to have the breadcrumbs be located in the bar2?

BTW, I got the site back up by uploading a new bfa_header_config.php file.

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 1, 2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: I have the site back up
Old Feb 1, 2011, 03:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'd have to see the whole module with the edits to determine what might be wrong.

put the code back in and then copy the entire module to a text file. ZIp the file and attach it to a reply using the paper clip icon
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:48 AM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
I've attached a zip file with the breadcrumb code where I put it. After reviewing it a bit more it seems I might have put it in the wrong place.

Where is the right place to put the code? Why isn't there a better way of putting breadcrumbs into the 'code' or the site in general?

As a theme wouldn't it be better to include breadcrumbs as an option? With the ability to put it where you want them like you can with the header image, main menu, etc.

Just asking and suggesting.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:50 AM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
I guess I forget to hit the right button to upload the zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bfa_header_config_sample.zip (3.3 KB, 1818 views)
Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The code you have has '&lt;' instead of '<'
'&quot;' instead of a single quote and
'&gt;' instead of '>'

that is why it fails
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
I greatly appreciate the help guys.

1. I just copy and pasted the code from Breadcrumbs NavXT's website. If the code is bad, that is on them.

2. I wish there were a set of instructions/documentation that stated where all the "plugins" like Breadcrumbs are supposed to go. It really is hit or miss with the forum questions as to whether or not you find the right instructions.

So if I have this correct. Don't use Breadcrumbs code, put STB's code in the area where is at on the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breadcrumbs Code.jpg
Views:	1802
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1108  
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
STB and Juggledad...thanks for the help. The breadcrumbs show up but now have to figure out how to stylize them.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
I found this CSS Insert code.

#breadcrumb {float: right; padding: 4px 5px 4px 5px; margin-top: 0px; font-size: 85%; margin-right: 5px; background-color:#FFFDDD; color: #003366;}
#breadcrumb a {display: inline; border: none; padding: 0; text-transform: none;}
#breadcrumb a:hover {color: #000000; background-color: #FFFDDD;}

I put it in ATO>CSS/HTML Inserts after this code.

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:active
{
padding: 8px 15px;
}
ul.rMenu-hor li {
margin-bottom: 0px;
}

However, it is not changing the style of the breadcrumbs. I thought it might have to do with no 'div' in front of the #breadcrumb so I put in the word div on all 3 lines and still nothing is changing.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 02:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You really need to learn som CSS. Is there a <div> with an ID of breadcrumbs? Or is breadcrumbs a class?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 03:25 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
I copied the code that STB stated in a previous post above. His post says.

<div class="breadcrumbs"><?php if(function_exists('bcn_display')) {bcn_display();}?></div>

Put in ATO>style/edit header area>configure header area. So I did that, and the breadcrumbs showed up.

The following code

#breadcrumb {float: right; padding: 4px 5px 4px 5px; margin-top: 0px; font-size: 85%; margin-right: 5px; background-color:#FFFDDD; color: #003366;}
#breadcrumb a {display: inline; border: none; padding: 0; text-transform: none;}
#breadcrumb a:hover {color: #000000; background-color: #FFFDDD;}

was supplied by another moderator...it might even be STB... in another breadcrumbs thread to change the characteristics/style of the breadcrumbs.

The instructions with this code was to place it in ATO>CSS/HTML Insert>CSS Insert. So that is what I did. The instructions also said that colors and positioning could be tweaked. I tried to change the background color, and a couple other things and nothing changed.

So after following all the instructions and the style not changing I'm asking for reasons why and how to correct it.

Last edited by MtnStreamGroup; Feb 1, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 03:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Classes are prefixed with a period, ID's are prefixed with a pound sign

Fyi STB is not a moderator
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:03 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
So whomever wrote the 'CSS code' was incorrect to have put the # in front of breadcrumbs.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I copied the code that STB stated in a previous post above. His post says.

<div class="breadcrumbs"><?php if(function_exists('bcn_display')) {bcn_display();}?></div>

Put in ATO>style/edit header area>configure header area. So I did that, and the breadcrumbs showed up.
This <div> uses a class, so the CSS would need to use a period instead of a # sign so instead of
HTML Code:
you would use
HTML Code:
.breadcrumb {float: right; padding: 4px 5px 4px 5px; margin-top: 0px; font-size: 85%; margin-right: 5px; background-color:#FFFDDD; color: #003366;}
or
HTML Code:
div.breadcrumb {float: right; padding: 4px 5px 4px 5px; margin-top: 0px; font-size: 85%; margin-right: 5px; background-color:#FFFDDD; color: #003366;}
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:08 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
Thank you very much for the confirmation of the CSS code. It's greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
Well I installed the code you stated in ATO>Add CSS/HTML Inserts>CSS Inserts, however, the code is doing nothing to change the background, margin, etc. of the breadcrumbs. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what is the url?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:07 AM
MtnStreamGroup

23 posts · Jan 2011
I've given up attempting to get breadcrumbs styling to work and have removed the breadcrumbs from the site.