Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Rotating Header text overlay possible?

Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
TotalBalance

15 posts · Feb 2009
Hi all!

As I'm just returning to this forum after a long absense, 1st let me say how impressed I am with all the progress made on what was already a great theme!! Great job to all involved!

For a new project I'm working on, I need to have rotating text overlayed on the header image in the same way now possible for either the Blog Title and Tagline.

1) Ideally, I'd like to have a single text file with each text statement on a new line and just pull a random or ordered line of text every x seconds to overlay and refresh the header area time?

2) If not possible, is there a way to have individual text files with each text statement and cycle them in the same way presently done for the header image?

3) If this is not possible, can the header image be an animated gif with the text statement embeded into the gif file?

4) If all of the above is not possible, I guess the final fall back will be to create individual header images with each text statement overlayed, add them to the header image folder and let Atahaualpa do it's thing.
However, that's not ideal. Every time I need to add/modify a text statement, a new images have to be created and manually replace the old ones as needed

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions or solutions you may have.

Lars
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
first thing I would do is go look for a plugin. If you can find a plugin that overlays text on an image you could just add a new widget area to the 'Configure Header Area' option, remove the %image which is atahualpa image, and put the plugin's widget there

there is nothing 'built in' to do what you want and to do it in the code would mean changing the theme code.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:45 AM
TotalBalance

15 posts · Feb 2009
Thanks Juggledad. OK, I've found a great plug-in that meets my needs (th0th's Quotes) however, being a novice at this stuff, I'm not clear on how to add the widget code or shortcode in place of %image. Everything I try just comes back as code.

BTW, I would prefer to overlay the widget/shortcode, centered, over the header image, not replace the image, but for now I'm happy just to see this method work. See below example.

Thanks in advance,
Lars

Last edited by TotalBalance; Mar 28, 2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: add image
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
by taking the idea in this thread you can get this to work.
1) in 'Configure Header Area' add the following as the first entry
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Quotes Area'); ?>
2) Go visit your site (this will create the new widget area
3) Go to the widgets area and you will now see a widget 'Quotes Area' - put the quotes widget in it.
4) add the following to the 'CSS Inserts' option
HTML Code:
#wrapper {position: relative;}
div#quotes_area {
    border-spacing: 0;
    left: 30px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 100px;
    width: 80%;
    z-index: 99;
}
you may need to change the width, left and top to put it where you want.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
TotalBalance

15 posts · Feb 2009
Juggledad, thanks so much for your guidance. As a matter of fact, I went ahead and created a little guide, just posted to this forum, documenting what I ended up with thanks to your help. Perhaps it will be of value to others.

By all means check it out and let me know if I've mis-stated anything.
Thanks again for your help!

P.S. I do have one final question re: this effort. When creating a new Widget Area, is it possible to add code so it rotates/refreshes every x seconds in the same way possible with Header Images?

Lars

Last edited by TotalBalance; Mar 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:32 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The widget you put in the widget area would have to do the rotating
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:35 AM
TotalBalance

15 posts · Feb 2009
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying
L