Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Excerpts, Read more, Pagination (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Special Characters for French are not displayed (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8447)

guile Aug 6, 2010 11:50 PM

Shirley, i have same prolem with char "à", too. T_T

shirley1 Aug 9, 2010 11:24 AM

If you installed Atahualpa 3.4.9 the excerpt works , but in the 3.5.3 version it does not wokr the «à» , it put an square instead of it.

I hope someone else has a solution for 3.5.3

JeromeH Aug 30, 2010 07:47 AM

Any new ideas to get the 'à' working?

JeromeH Aug 30, 2010 07:55 AM

update: the 'à' gets displayed correctly if I replace the 'à' with à in the HTML code of the post and then immediately save it (no switching back to HTML mode - it replaces à with an 'à' again = same problem).

but that's not really a solution since there are a lot of 'à' in a lot of posts!! and it's hard to tell people to manually replace the 'à' with à in their HTML code ... :(

any other ideas?

juggledad Sep 1, 2010 05:23 PM

JeromeH - can you give the url of your site and point to a post with the issue?

JeromeH Sep 7, 2010 07:50 AM

Hi, the site isn't live/public yet so I can't give you a link. But I've taken a screenshot:

http://www.symposium.lu/popbio2008/f...907-154919.png

Note the black diamond in the excerpts. They don't show in the full posts.

juggledad Sep 7, 2010 08:20 AM

Jerome, would you be willing to do a database backup and email it to me?maybe I can recreate it with your data.

valembois Oct 17, 2010 02:33 PM

Crasy, i were coming crazy with this error.
I found a way to avoid the problem by changing the expression in the preg_split function.
Look like to be a problem with this php function.

So in the function bfa_wp_trim_excerpt($text) (you can find it in function php of the theme)

You change twice the argument of the preg_split call.

// OLD $words = preg_split("/\s+/", $text);
$words = preg_split("/[ \r\t\f\n]+/", $text);

:confused:

jmc34 Oct 19, 2010 01:25 AM

I tried this, but unfortunately it does not do the trick for me...

First, the excerpts do now contain the images (they were stripped off by the initial version of the code).

Then I cannot figure out why, but one of my agrave is still showing funny... Please have a look.
http://jeanmichel.cazaux.free.fr/TB3...athaulpa-3.png

I tried this with the default WP theme (twenty-ten 1.1) and all my "à" look fine.

I am using WP 3.0.1 and Athualpa 3.5.3

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jean-Michel

tmarien Oct 29, 2010 04:36 PM

Hello juggledad ...

we're having the same issues here ... our site is live at http://ttnff.selfip.com, should you still be interested in seeing it "live".

The "diamonds" are visible in Firefox, in IE they appear are squares.

I've tried the recommendations in this thread, with varying levels of success - none however fixes the "issue" completely.

Tom.

juggledad Oct 30, 2010 04:13 AM

can you point to a post with the issue?
p.s. in the photos 'Iceland 2010' second photo - is that your daughter? Why are teenagers the same the world over - 'looks' over 'comfort'?

tmarien Oct 30, 2010 07:10 AM

Juggledad,

bright-eyes in the second photo is my cousin's daughter; mine is the toddler.

If you switch the language to french on the homepage, you will see most excerpts (and only the excerpts) have the "funny characters" described in this thread.

What's boggling me however is that overnight they changed from the black diamond with "?" to the squares with "FR".

Anyway, would be nice to have your view on this.

juggledad Oct 30, 2010 07:32 AM

I copied the first post in 'french' and posted it into my test site, but both the excerpts and full post is fine.

what is the plug-in you have to switch languages? Would you let me in to poke around. I'd like to get a dump of your database and see if I can recreate it. If so send me a PM with an admin ID and PW or do an sql export of the db and email it to me.

juggledad Nov 9, 2010 06:44 AM

tmarien
can you send me your nl_NL.mo and fr_FR.mo files?

shirley1 Jan 5, 2011 09:44 AM

Hi

I've just updated to the new theme atahualpa 3.6 but i have the same issue. I can send you the backup of my database to your personal email if you don't mind.

juggledad Jan 6, 2011 05:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
there was a change in how excerpts are handles in 3.5.3 - the code was changed from using a php 'explode()' to a php 'preg_split()'. I'm wondering if the preg_split is causing the issue.

With this in mind I have a test for you to run.
1) download the attached file, unzip it
2) edit the file (USING A TEXT EDITOR) and change the text 'this is a string' to something with french characters - make sure to keep the single quotes around it
3) save it and upload it to the atahualpa folder
4) create a new page called 'test'
5) assign the template 'pmwtest' to the page
6) publish the page - you can make it private, just note the url
7) view the page and see if there is any difference in the two tests - send me the url so I can look also.
Attachment 1000

shirley1 Jan 6, 2011 06:56 AM

My blogue is in the intranet. I can not give you the link.

I have the error when i want to see the new page.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare bfa_get_options() (previously declared in D:\www\blog\wp-content\themes\atahualpa\functions\bfa_get_options .php:2) in D:\www\blog\wp-content\themes\atahualpa\functions\bfa_get_options .php on line 512

juggledad Jan 6, 2011 07:38 AM

sorry, there looks like there was a change in templates from 3.5.3 to 3.6.0 and I (oops) didn't test it in 3.6.0

replace the first part of the code:
[html]<?php
/*
Template Name: pregtest template
*/
?>
<?php // Do not delete these lines ?>
------
<?php /* get all options: */
include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header();

#global $bfa_ata;
// You can start editing below:
?>

with
HTML Code:

<?php
/*
Template Name: pregtest template
*/
 ?>

<?php // Do not delete these lines ?>
<?php # error_reporting(-1);
list($bfa_ata, $cols, $left_col, $left_col2, $right_col, $right_col2, $bfa_ata['h_blogtitle'], $bfa_ata['h_posttitle']) = bfa_get_options();
get_header();
extract($bfa_ata);
// You can start editing below:
?>

shirley1 Jan 6, 2011 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the text :

à la une . Dès que jaurais le temps. Étienne

In the file , you will find what i get.

And there is no difference.

shirley1 Jan 19, 2011 12:22 PM

can anyone verify this ?