Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Left and right sidebars not sitting plush up against the header (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1754)

Pope_gumby May 22, 2009 04:12 AM

Left and right sidebars not sitting plush up against the header

hey everyone, new member here, I am setting up a site which has coloured backgrounds on the sidebars, and the same colour background on the header image.

the only problem is, the sidebars dont sit plush against the header image, so there's a white line appearing, only 1 or 2 pixels wide, between them.

Any idea where I can find the setting which will remove this? Im not sure if its padding around the sidebar, or padding around the header image.

Thanks.

juggledad May 22, 2009 12:10 PM

its probably a 'bar' what do you have set in ATO->Header->Configure Header Area ?? Read what each of the items in that option does

Pope_gumby May 22, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 7073)
its probably a 'bar' what do you have set in ATO->Header->Configure Header Area ?? Read what each of the items in that option does

Hi, nope, unfortunately its not that, as my header is just %bar1 %image

juggledad May 22, 2009 05:21 PM

What's the url? so I can see what you mean

Pope_gumby May 22, 2009 07:30 PM

http://wegaveitseven.com/

thanks for your help.

juggledad May 23, 2009 05:27 AM

One thing I notice is that while you say the header image will be 150 px in height, your image is only 146. Try dropping the height to 146 and see what happens

Pope_gumby May 23, 2009 04:41 PM

awesome, that works, thanks for that...

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 09:20 AM

I'm having the exact same problem except I know the specified height of my header is correct. I am using an image map in the theme and in order to achieve this, I placed the image and map right under <--Header--> in the header.php file. I then left the theme option - Header completely blank. Could someone please take a look? I just CANNOT figure it out.

site: http://jt4breakfast.com/test/

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 09:45 AM

Ummm, if you're talking about the space under the black curved tab looking area and above the colums...go look at your image that area is in the image

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 7763)
Ummm, if you're talking about the space under the black curved tab looking area and above the colums...go look at your image that area is in the image

I wish that were the problem:) I am referring to the small space in between the header and the sidebars. I've tried manipulating every margin attribute I could think of, to no avail. Any other suggestions?

By the way, in case we're speaking of the same thing (I just re-read your comment), I've just cropped the bottom portion of the image just to be sure. Something in the coding is adding this space . . .

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 04:44 PM

Ok, that is the sidebar styling and/or the widget styling. In your case it is just the Sidebar Styling

Change ATO->Sidebars->LEFT sidebar style: (and the right sidebar styling too)

padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px;

to:

padding: 0 10px 10px 10px;

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 05:04 PM

Unfortunately, nothing changed . . .

P.S. Thanks for the incredibly fast responses.

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 05:12 PM

Ummmm it did in my browser, did you clear your cache?

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 05:41 PM

Yes, several times . . . Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I use Firefox. I just go to Tools - Clear Private Data - Clear Private Data Now (Cache clicked). I've done this several times, closed and then restarted the browser . . . I even tried in IE. It still looks the same to me .. . .

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 05:58 PM

Just checked on IE8 and firefox, the issue is resolved. Try quitting Firefox and starting it up again.

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 06:15 PM

I'm sorry, I just do not see a change . . . . I just cleared the cache, closed the browser, ran CCleaner and then restarted my computer . . . . it still looks the same. How is this possible?

Thinking . . . . Ok, well If I use %image in A. Options - Header then it looks perfect, but I lose my image map. Is there another way to add it besides putting it under header.php? Or can I add the map to header.php and call the image in A. Options? I am pulling at straws here . . .

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 06:30 PM

1) view the source of the page, search for 'td#left' - verify you see this
HTML Code:

td#left {
        border-right: solid 1px #332233;
padding: 0px 5px 10px 5px;
background: #faedd3;        }

if you do, can you add a new post titled 'testing' so we both know we are getting a refresh?

and just to make sure, you are still seeing a big space between the label 'Current Projects' and the gray line above it. Not the gap between the gray line and the black area the ticked stub is on.

Am I correct?

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 06:42 PM

OK. I can see the code you're referring to in page source. I've added a Testing post to verify we're looking at the same thing, and to verify we're speaking of the same space, please refer to the thumbnail below. I apologize if I've been unclear in nay way so far . . .

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/241...clarify.th.jpg

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I see in IE8 and FireFox in XP and Safari/Firefox on the Mac
Attachment 148

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 7841)
Here is what I see in IE8 and FireFox in XP and Safari/Firefox on the Mac
Attachment 148

Ok, this is exactly what I see (except the alignment seems a bit off on the bg). The black arrow in the thumbnail above is sitting smack dab in between the space. It is small, but noticeable b/c of the color change.

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 07:19 PM

I've got an idea, lets go the other way

Change ATO->Sidebars->LEFT sidebar style: (and the right sidebar styling too)

padding: 50px 10px 10px 10px;

this should cause a big gap to occur

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 07:30 PM

There's certainly a gap . . . the same space is there as well

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 07:47 PM

I'm not sure what is happening at your end. From the label "Current Projects' going up, there is a large gap that ends at a line that is just a bit above the word 'Testing' (which is in the middle column)
then there is the line, then a small gap (which is actually part of the image)

Is this what you see?

mal1986 Jun 4, 2009 08:10 PM

Yes, except the gap isn't actually apart of the image. Check it out below in photoshop:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4610/photosp.th.jpg

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 08:37 PM

So if the space at the bottom of the image is not the gap you are talking about, I'm at a loss because I can't see it.

Here is my suggestion. view the page in IE8 where you see the gap, then view the source and save the source to your My Documents. Then open that source in IE8 and start taking chunks out of the code till teh gap disapeard.

1) remove the footer
2) remove all the posts
3) remove all but the first widget
4) start deleting things out of the inline style

eventually something should make it go away (if you cut stuff from the source in notepad, then save the file, then do a refresh in IE, if something goes wrong you can go back to notepag and do an undo and save it again.

I'm off to bed, good luck, let me know what you find out