Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Is it necessary to use Pages or would Categories suffice?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:11 PM
chaosisbliss

20 posts · Sep 2010
Hi there, working on my very first blog, self-teaching as best I can

Initially, "Home" and "About" were my only Pages, and my Disclosure Policy page is under the About page. Please reference my site.

I would like to have just one menu, below my header image. Therefore I removed %pages from the Configure Header Area. Now of course my Disclosure Policy disappeared, because it is a page and I turned off pages. If I change my Disclosure Policy to a Post instead of a Page, then I could have it show up in the "About" category, in my category menu below the header.

However is there a reason I wouldn't want my disclosure policy to be a post? Does it need to be a page?

Dumb it down for me folks LOL!

Thanks.

Last edited by chaosisbliss; Sep 28, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:08 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The big differences between posts and pages is that by default posts can be categorized, the are in chronological order and multiple posts can be viewed at one time. Pages are geared more for static content where you just one a single page such as the About page. You can certainly create an About page as a post in the About category but instead I would use the new WP menu system to just combine posts and pages in one menu. This does require WP 3.0.x and Atahualpa 3.5.3 however.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:22 AM
chaosisbliss

20 posts · Sep 2010
I am on WP 3.0.1, and am following the steps to upgrade Atahualpa from 3.4.9. to 3.5.3.
For the bug fixes (1st timer here), do I still need to do the steps for "fixes for version 3.5.1 and 3.5.2"? Or do I just pay attention to fixes for 3.5.3?

Thank you.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:13 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
In the New Versions and Updating forum the third and fourth stickies are the most important. Which fixes do you mean?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:21 AM
chaosisbliss

20 posts · Sep 2010
Ok, I was looking at the 6 links on the 3.5.3 download page. So are Bugfixes 351-04 and 353-01 the only - or most important ones - I need to do? Thank you.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yes... They are the most important.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:29 AM
chaosisbliss

20 posts · Sep 2010
Just made a donation, thanks for your help. I have (I think!) successfully upgraded to 3.5.3.

I created a custom menu with pages & posts I simply called "Custom". It is not showing up, (see site), do I need to input something into the "Configure Header Area"?

It has this: %logo %image. I removed %cats because I thought categories may have been on top of(?) the new custom menu. How do I get the custom menu to show under my header image?

Thanks so much.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:45 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You need %pages and you need to associate the menu you build with Menu 1 in WP Menus
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
chaosisbliss

20 posts · Sep 2010
I now have my custom menu showing by including %pages in the header area. It includes my About page, and 4 categories so far.

I don't have %cats because my categories are already in the new custom header. If I include %cats then I have 2 menus almost identical, and I only want 1.

However, now my Disclosure Policy page is not under my About page/

Here is the menu I am trying to achieve:
- Home page
- About page
- Disclosure Policy page, child of About page
- dynamic categories, with subcategory drop-downs

So is it possible to mix pages and categories as menu headers, and both having drop downs?

Sorry, again I am new to this. Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:19 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You arrange you menu items in WordPress>Menus. If you want a menu item to be a sub-menu just drag it a little to the right under the menu you want it to be under as in this screenshot.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:23 PM
chaosisbliss

20 posts · Sep 2010
OH jeez didn't know it was so simple as to drag it to the right. Thank you thank you thank you!