Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off - Part II

Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:30 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
Thank you very much
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I think it is absolutely gorgeous.

I am looking for the css to make the transparency, I see this:

background-color: transparent;
background-image: url("images/plantpack_content_background_03.png");

Is that what does it? Amazing.

Last edited by SharonJ; Aug 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 07:39 AM
GarethP

64 posts · Jun 2010
Here's my latest - www.qiholistictherapies.co.uk - I know the pricing page needs a little formatting work but the owner is looking to move to a cart type solution (probably ECWID) and I'm trying to educate them in updating the site themselves (for minor updates anyway!)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 08:17 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
@GarethP... Much of your text in the header is barely readable (black text on the dark blue background).
Old Sep 4, 2013, 09:42 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I have to concur with lmilesw. While this is very tastefully done, I do not have fabulous eyesight and the tiny, pale gray font on the warm gray background is very difficult for me to read. With an aging population, you want to make your font easy to read. I know the body text default is .8 em, but I usually change it to at least 14 or 15px.

Also, the photo of the pink flowers next to the wet rocks has been stretched horizontally without constraint so it looks unprofessional. Make sure that when you are sizing photos to fit your banner that you never just stretch in one direction.

Thirdly, make your CSS/JS an external file. If you view your source code you have many many lines of css, which should be external, as it brings your actual content closer to the top.

I hope you succeed in making the shop internal rather than going to another page, that is quite the transition!

this is a matter of personal taste, but I would space out the navigation items further using something like this in the ATO/HTML/CSS...add something to the right, anyway, it looks all jammed over.

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a, div#menu2 ul.rMenu li a {
padding: 6px 10px; }

Lastly, when you have 20-30 things in a list, break the list up every five or so with a line break. It is hard to read text that dense, especially when it is that small.

As for training, I usually do 1/2 or 3/4 of an hour of training with my customers, and then I provide them with a link to my page where I have links to youtube videos I have made. Basic how to open a page, upload media, create links etc. I use something called Active Presenter, which is easy to use and which has a great export feature, you can turn it into anything you want.

If they are your videos in your voice, then it reaffirms for them that you are their webmaster, not some Canadian person with a whole bunch of Youtube videos
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:32 AM
GarethP

64 posts · Jun 2010
Thanks for your comments - I have already implemented the menu spacing and external CSS .

I will pass on the colour comments to the owner - but I agree (especially as I am colour-blind) about the black on dark grey, but the owner has insisted to try and keep the site calming... Keep looking, you may see some changes soon!

Unfortunately the store that is currently linked in the menu must remain as is - something to do with the affiliate licencing, but a demo of the 'on-site' store can be seen at

www.qiholistictherapies.co.uk/store

ECWID integrates quite nicely with Wordpress (some minor colour updates required here too)

SharonJ - not sure what you mean by;

Quote:
the photo of the pink flowers next to the wet rocks has been stretched horizontally without constraint
I've all the banner images here - the site is fixed width 990px so there should be no dynamic stretching??? they are all 990px crops out of much larger images - no other resizing involved???

Which image is it?

Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
neodcb77

3 posts · Sep 2013
Hello, here are some examples of my design:

http://jardins-sioracois.fr/
http://jjlbjeux.neoxos.com/
http://quenambr.neoxos.com/
http://www.assurances-asc.fr/
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Quote:
I've all the banner images here - the site is fixed width 990px so there should be no dynamic stretching??? they are all 990px crops out of much larger images - no other resizing involved???

Which image is it?

Sorry it took so long to respond, Gareth. Image 2 is stretched further horizontally than it should be. It should, in fact, be only 850 px wide to be constrained properly:

You can see that the flowers are a more natural shape. Here i have corrected it for you to 990 px wide:

I hope this is helpful
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Just checked your page out again and wanted to subscribe. it will not accept my email, I tried it twice. Is there a problem? My information was correct.

My other comment is that you are in danger of "tastefulling yourself to death." Gray on gray is very chic, but at some point becomes barely readable.

i wear glasses, but even so, I have to strain to see the lettering on the tabs at the top. This is called contrast ratio, and yours is (for me) far too low.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:14 AM
GarethP

64 posts · Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonJ
Sorry it took so long to respond, Gareth. Image 2 is stretched further horizontally than it should be. It should, in fact, be only 850 px wide to be constrained properly:

You can see that the flowers are a more natural shape. Here i have corrected it for you to 990 px wide:

I hope this is helpful
Thanks Sharon - something obviously gone wrong with my image processing!! I'll revisit the original and get a proper sized crop out!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
http://jardins-sioracois.fr/ The links don't seem to do anything and I get this error message:
ATTENTION! (par Google complète Plugin Carte)

Les blog / site thématique ou un de vos plugins jQuery utilise la bibliothèque javascript qui est plus ancienne que la version 1.3.0.
Le complète plugin Google Map ne fonctionne pas avec la version de jQuery comme obsolète.

Le exigence minimale pour jQuery complète plugin Google Map est une version 1.3.0. Veuillez nous excuser pour la gêne occasionnée ..

http://jjlbjeux.neoxos.com/ Nice design...but links seem to be problematic..maybe it is just me.
http://quenambr.neoxos.com/ My French is poor but this is a very sad story. I wish you luck. Links on this site...no problem.
http://www.assurances-asc.fr/..again # for links. Are these works in progress? I prefer a page that is no wider than 1100. When I have to read text across a long line, it is hard to go from line to line.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 04:03 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
New site: http://www.nijmegenhoveniers.nl/
Old Oct 7, 2013, 06:34 AM
moomum

164 posts · Aug 2010
September 2013
www.mamablessings.co.uk

August 2013
www.johnnycajon.com

June 2013
www.dianapowell.co.uk

June 2013
www.awaremindtherapies.co.uk

and then there is
www.nakedwebsite.co.uk and www.ragbaby.co.uk

ages ago
www.lactivist.net (don't look too closely at this one, Woo commerce needs sorting out on it!)
Old Oct 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
taylortown01

1 posts · Jul 2013
I especially love the Mamablessings site. Very clean and appropriate design. My first attempt at Atalhualpa was a dentist site Comrie dental. They were very pleased and the site ranks very well as well.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 02:42 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Mamablessings I did not know what you were when I went to your site. I thought you were a Doula or a Organization of doulas or mid-wives. Without trying to be funny, I saw "Delivery and Returns" and then thought WTF???? Then I realized you were selling items for mothers to be etc. THEN I discover that you do that service.

So! What am I saying? I am saying that somewhere on your main page you had better put Doulas for Northumberland and Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and Products for Mothers and Babies" or something like that. So that I know where I am and why I am there.

Also, make your CSS/JSS external so your content is closer to the top of the page (See ATO down at the bottom)

this site is visually beautiful, but Google still needs to see text. Underneath the graphic Support. Honour.Celebrate etc. (remove the link from that image or make it real text) Put some text that has some key words in it.

Dianapowell I like it! Very simple...ditto CSS and JSS though

Awaremindtherapies Nice banner...it looks cluttered though. Can you make the left sidebar wider and perhaps make the tags a dropdown? this site is not restful. ditto JSS cSS

Nakedwebsite again, I adore the banner but it is very cluttered. I would like to see a larger font, some h2 headings, something to break it up. ..and css/jss.

All in all you are doing a great job...I am just a white space freak.

And as for ComrieDental ? I was gone the VERY SECOND I heard the music. Play music on a musician's site if you want, but not on a dentist's site. I have my own music playing in the background here. You might want to check this blog out: http://offbeatempire.com/2013/08/auto-play-music
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:13 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonJ
And as for ComrieDental ? I was gone the VERY SECOND I heard the music. Play music on a musician's site if you want, but not on a dentist's site. I have my own music playing in the background here. You might want to check this blog out: http://offbeatempire.com/2013/08/auto-play-music
I would second and third this advice but add that autoplay should not even be on a musicians site. It should ALWAYS be something you choose to play.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:36 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Actually, I agree with you 100% lmilesw.

One of the reasons being is that the webmaster does not know if my speakers were cranked from last night when I was listening to classical music. I wake up in the morning with a toothache and look for a dentist only to have my ears bleed because of the unexpected Stairway to Heaven.

At the very least have a very obvious on/off button or a volume control.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Another issue is that if you go to another page and then back home it starts playing all over again..... Arrrggggrrrhhhhh
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Another issue is that if you go to another page and then back home it starts playing all over again..... Arrrggggrrrhhhhh
Hahaha! I can see you have been through the autoplay music wars of the 90's!!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 02:08 AM
Neilius

2 posts · Aug 2014
Thank you for the Atahualpa theme. I enjoy using it.

Here is my mountain biking blog which is based on the theme: http://blog.neilennis.com

I'd be grateful for suggestions that might improve the site.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 06:24 AM
zingo5

92 posts · Sep 2011
When I view it on a laptop I have to scroll horizontally. I would consider narrowing down the total width perhaps using a flex width for the main content or writing css to stop display of one of the sidebars when the viewport is under a certain size.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:16 PM
Neilius

2 posts · Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingo5
When I view it on a laptop I have to scroll horizontally. I would consider narrowing down the total width perhaps using a flex width for the main content or writing css to stop display of one of the sidebars when the viewport is under a certain size.
Thanks for the feedback
Old Nov 13, 2014, 09:34 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Your navigation is interesting...if I go to Political, I cannot get back to the Home Page without using the back button. Videos takes me off your site altogether. The YouTube page should open in a new tab, not take me away from your site. Ditto Expert1. ditto shipwatcher blog.

On some pages there is a big space between the Search Field and the widget with Where to Mountain Bike in Southeast Queensland.

Lose the 40% fade or whatever it is on the headers. Some of those photos are very nice, and the fade thing is just irritating. Not sure why it is a default actually.

Hope this is helpful.

You look like you have an interesting life!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 07:58 AM
geekprepper

6 posts · Dec 2013
It seems that Genesis Framework and it's themes are very popular in my blogging niche, but so far Atahualpa has been able to do anything I've needed. http://www.geekprepper.org/
Old Dec 18, 2014, 05:26 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I sure like the contents of your site. Not crazy about your navigation bar, though. Colour is subjective, so it does not matter if I like it or not, but I would prefer something green like #7E8714. But like I said, that blue is probably your favourite colour so what the heck do I know??

What I really would like to see is larger lettering in the navigation bar.

I would make the letters larger in ATO/Menu1...make them 16px

make them bold here, in ATO/HTML
<!--Bold Menus-->
ul.rMenu li a{
font-weight: bold !important;
}

You can set the menu bar height, too
<!--Menu Bar height-->
ul.rMenu li a{
line-height: 30px !important;
}

Your menu bar is long enough that the top menu Home, About, Newsletter, Popular Posts, Resources Shopping could actually fit on the main menu bar, since I did not see them initially.

Your four essentials could likely fit on the main menu bar, too.

You might also make your content text larger. Optimal line size should be 75-80 characters.
"It’s easy to toss on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt then grab a sweatshirt when we’re heading out the " is 101 with spaces. It makes it harder to read.
http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability

I plan to spend some time checking this site out, thank you very much, Mr. Prepper!