Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Alternating text color links in menu... possible?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:31 PM
flapperjak

10 posts · Aug 2010
Hi all-

I'm not very experienced with CSS and custom code, so bear with me... I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to achieve the following with Atahualpa, CSS, or a plugin:

I'm after a menu bar or widget that can span the length below my header area with alternating link colors, as in my attached image. Essentially, I'd like to zebra stripe just the text for readability/design purposes.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction towards some applicable tutorials, etc., I would be really thankful. Or, if taking this on as a Luddite is madness, knowing that would be helpful too!

All the best, and thanks for a really helpful forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-27 at 11.24.00 AM.png
Views:	1990
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	708  
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Apart from just writing some html you could add a widget area in the same place where %pages goes and add a widget to house this. It sort of looks like a Tag cloud widget would work except I'm not sure about the alternating color part.

Bottom line is there is not just one way to do this and it will probably take a bit of fiddling.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
flapperjak

10 posts · Aug 2010
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm pretty clueless about how to program the alternating color stuff, HTML or otherwise. I found this guide, but it doesn't do exactly what I'm after...

I guess I need to learn more about styles and widgets.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
That guide is for alternating table rows. To do a checkerboard is going to be more work.