Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Chronological, full content list of posts on page other than the home page

Old May 13, 2010, 05:03 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Hi all -

I'm imagining this is simple, but am not quite sure how to phrase it to preform the search I'm looking for.

I have turned my homepage into a magazine-style page, with featured content but no sequential listing of posts. I'm wondering how I can link to a page that will show all posts at my site sequentially - essentially mimicking what the home page of most blogs usually does. I'm imagining I duplicate index.php (my homepage now uses home.php) and drop that code into a new page, but am just not sure what to call it or how to link to it.

I initially thought I could do this with archives, but that gives me a text list of titles, not just the full content blog style.

Thanks!
Josh
Old May 13, 2010, 05:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
why not create a page that is your home page styled loike you want, then create another page (call it anything - 'News' for example. Then go to dashboard->settings->reading and set the front page to your new home page and then set the 'News' page as your blog.

Last edited by juggledad; May 18, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:27 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Thanks. How would I do that though?

I have constructed my current homepage using a file placed in my theme directory called "home.php". Is there a way I can reference this file from a page? As in, if I make a page called "homepage" and copy my current "home.php" to "homepage.php" will that be called when wordpress looks for my "homepage" page"?

And, for the "news" page you suggest I create, how do I tell wordpress to place my posts on this page? and how do I link to it?

Sorry, I don't really understand this part yet, with all I've read about template hacking, et al.

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2010, 12:57 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Well, I guess you didn't answer since the response is so obvious. If anyone else runs into this, the answer lies in the wordpress help:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_Reading_SubPanel

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Josh
Old May 19, 2010, 12:47 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
If anyone runs into this post, you can find out how to do what I was aiming to do here:

"Creating your own page Templates": http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages

However, I ran into a snafu whre my custom template wasn't showing up in the dropdown, solution was below:

http://www.vanseodesign.com/wordpres...ates-dropdown/