Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Ken Burns effect for rotating banner with NextGen

Old May 12, 2010, 07:41 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I just wanted to post this in case anyone cared. You can see an example here.
  • Installed NextGen Gallery plugin
  • Installed NextGen Monoslideshow plugin
  • Installed Shortcode for Sidebar plugin
  • Added new widget area in place of %image in "Configure Header Area"
  • Added a gallery of banner images to NextGen
  • Added .monoslideshow {overflow:hidden;} to CSS Inserts - This keeps banner images constrained
  • Configured Monoslideshow as desired.
  • Added gallery shortcode to new widget area
Old May 13, 2010, 07:21 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Larry, thanks for the tips. Sounds complicated, but with your guidance, should be pretty easy.

I can't decide whether I think the pan-and-zoom effect is a good idea or not, though. It can make me a little seasick, but I do like the way it looks. Maybe my techie side likes it but my inner ear doesn't?

2 questions: How did you achieve the slide-down bar at the top? And what do you use the Page Blocks plugin to accomplish?

Last edited by paulae; May 13, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:48 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I know what you mean about the movement. It was a little over the top for me as well but I wanted to see how it would work. I just went back to the simple fade. The slide down bar is part of the Apture plugin. Page blocks were installed when I started building the site but I haven't implemented them as yet. I may use them on some members entries from time to time.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:52 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I like the Apture thing either; I tend to hate any intrusive stuff appearing out of nowhere on a page, but it's pretty mild compared to some. I'm going to investigate further.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I think we are on the same page. I installed the Apture plugin because of it's other uses, my client saw the drop down thingy and liked it so I left it there. I too am not sure about it's usefulness however. I think most will blow past it.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
Elms123

16 posts · Mar 2010
Uk
Have you tried looking at the page in 64bit IE8? I'm afraid to say that the rotating banner doesn't work.

In place of the header the words "The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed". When you click on the link it takes you to Adobe's page that explains that Flash does not work on 64 bit IE8.

I don't use 64bit IE8, prefering Firefox, but most of the visitors to my site are using IE8 and I could not risk them seeing a blank header.

We really need something that works on all operating systems.

By the way have you taken the Ken Burns effect off? When I looked at the website the photos were revolving but there was no pan or zoom effects.

John
Old May 15, 2010, 08:34 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yes I did take the Ken Burns effect off and I just now switched the plugin I was using to another method of providing rotating banners. Could you take a look to see if that one works in IE8 64bit?

Thanks
Old May 16, 2010, 12:27 PM
Elms123

16 posts · Mar 2010
Uk
Well done, that is now working in 64bit IE8, and 32bit IE8, and Chrome, and Safari, and of course Firefox!

When I right clicked on the image it did not give the usual Flash options, so I presume you have used something else to show the rotating images?

But can you still have the Ken Jones effect working if required?

John
Old May 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
This is strictly a fade option as outlined in this forum.