Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] How do I place widgets within page content?

Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Send a message via MSN to Craig Mattice Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Mattice Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Mattice
I am at wits end! Been researching all afternoon for a plugin that allows me to insert widgets within the content of specific pages and NOT in a sidebar. I currently have Page Blocks to insert the widget of my choice into one of four quadrants within the page content. I suspect a conflict with WP Security Scan since when activated it makes the Page Blocks widgets disappear from the pages.

Specifically, I would like to keep the "Announcement" widget within specific pages content since it does not have snippet/short code capabilities. Thanks to Paulae I have a solution to using my NextGen Gallery without the need of Page Blocks to insert into specific pages.

I would appreciate suggested plugins to accomplish this objective that don't require serious coding. I'm not that proficient at this. Plug-n-play kind of guy. To visualize what I am describing my site is www.lifebeyondwealth.com Check out the home page and Get Connected page for the current inserted widgets.

I am looking forward to positive suggestions from those who know.

Thank you,
Craig
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
Wyro

21 posts · Jul 2009
Atahualpa (current version 3.4.5) has a way to add widgets anywhere on the page. Look under ATO > Sidebars & Widgets > Add New Widget Areas. I am guessing that you can use the same instructions to hard code a widget into any file to hardcode it into any page as well. Let me know how this works for you.

Last edited by Wyro; Feb 28, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:59 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Wyro is right. You could simply insert a new widget area using the theme options, then insert what you want in the new widget area. No need for a plugin.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:10 PM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Send a message via MSN to Craig Mattice Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Mattice Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Mattice
This is very exciting news to my ears! It would solve a couple of main issues for me immediately.

Do I need to be concerned with any breakage upgrading from Atahualpa 3.4.3 to 3.4.6? I will attempt to answer this myself on the forums. My gut impression based on my previous experience with Atahualpa is no.

OK! I have had a look at what other people are doing and printed the instructions to upgrade per Juggledad and Paulae. Here goes nothing. (Can't you just feel the overwhelming confidence I have in doing this? LOL!)

Thank you for sharing your responses with me.
Craig

Last edited by Craig Mattice; Feb 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 03:41 AM
johndh

21 posts · Jan 2010
Craig,

Good luck, I'm sure it will work fine. I experimented with custom widget areas a few days ago, and I'm most impressed. I have been putting web sites together for a while and the Wordpress/Atahualpa combination means you can do almost anything, Plus the fact that these forums offer some of the best support going.

John

PS when you upgrade anything, please remember, BACKUP EVERYTHING.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:02 AM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Good Morning Guys!

OK! Thanks to you guys and especially Paulae and Juggledad, (and of course Flynn), here is what I've accomplished in the last couple of hours.
  • Backed up entire home directory/SQL databases from HostGator
  • Backed up complete website via WordPress
  • Followed both Juggledad and Paulae's specific download and installation instructions for the upgrade from 3.4.3 to 3.4.6 (to the letter!)
  • Used FileZilla to review, compare, and transfer the necessary files especially images
  • Best security suggestion is to create a new folder for the new version maintaining the integrity of two distinct versions of this theme
  • Tested the WP integrity and looked at the website massaging minor variations
  • Tested and found activating WP Security Scan still removed Page Block from the website
  • Followed the insight of Juggledad with installing Widget Logic
  • Followed Paulae's advice to learn and utilize Add a Widget Area via ATO
  • Yes, I had to learn something new with PHP but worth the time invested
  • Successfully created widget areas on the specific pages, both included and excluded
  • Actually a cleaner presentation of my widgets vs. Page Block plugin
  • Tested viability of WP Security Scan with NO conflicts with plugins
  • Deleted Page Block plugin with the success use of ATO's Add a Widget Area

The final result is a much more viable, robust, and comprehensively flexible non-blog website with a cleaner presentation. Now, thanks to you guys, my new church website is ready to have the domains rolled over and go fully live within the week. I've always said I need an anti-virus against "ME" because I can screw things up so well. In this case, I feel solid redemption as the cure.

Biggest lesson learned in the last 36 hours? Listen to those who have done it successfully. Follow their directions to the letter. Think and look for the simplest solution and don't get caught up majoring in minor details. When in doubt, ask and ask early for assistance. DON'T PANIC!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to review my website, totally designed, developed, and constructed my me though self-taught, trial and error, screw up-screw up more-learn from it-repair-and recover methodology. I am just an average computer user, not a geek, nerd, or techie by any stretch. To top it off, I am totally disabled causing cognitive challenges. So have faith in yourself to learn and listen to others with faith and confidence.

Thank you ALL! Especially Flynn for providing such an outstanding, customizable, and stable product.

With Sincere Gratitude,
Craig