Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Widgets page and plug ins add page not working, and displaying differently

Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:44 PM
shamrock 2000

6 posts · Feb 2010
Suddenly two of the pages have changed how they appear. Not the typical WP Admin/Dashboard appearance. Instead, they are showing as bullet points in a long list.

When I click on the links from this page to POSTS or PAGES or SETTINGS etc I can go back to the normal WP display for these pages.

However when I click on Widgets and the add in button for Plug Ins they do not function.

I have uploaded a completely new WP set of files via Go Daddy. (By completely disabling the old account). However the problem is still there.

This happened all of a sudden while I was in the Widgets section. It froze and then appeared like this.

Help!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you just add a new plugin?

Switch to the default theme - still a problen? Then it is probably a plugin
Using FTP,
1) go in and move all your plugins to a new folder
2) visit your site
this will cause all plugins to deactivate
did the problem go away? If so:
3) move the plugins back into the theme folder
4) activate them one by one to see which one caused the problem
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:08 AM
shamrock 2000

6 posts · Feb 2010
Hi
I don't have any plug ins yet. I was just setting up the style of the blog.
However I have just opened everything up on my office computer and the widget admin page is displaying properly.

So it is just a problem with my laptop....

I am pleased about that. BUT I am doing all of this work on my laptop so I need to be able to fix the way the widget admin page displays on my laptop. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Trying to determine what is different between your laptop and desktop is beyond the scope of this forum. You should seek out a computer professional to review the two machines Something like this could be anything from the version of the operating systems, browser, amount of memory, version of Java, possible spyware or virus, plugins active with the browser etc, etc, etc
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:52 AM
shamrock 2000

6 posts · Feb 2010
Thanks. I understand it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. But it was working okay, and then suddenly stopped when I was setting up the Atahualpa theme.

Both computers are MACs using Safari.

Unfortunately these days nothing is supported by anyone (Apple, Wordpress etc). That is why I very much appreciate your help.

Do you think perhaps there is a firewall issue?
I am an advance beginner....Where should I begin doing my forensic backtracking to locate the problem.

Many thanks in advance
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what versions of OSX are you running on the two and what version of Safari?
What happens if you use firefox?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:52 AM
shamrock 2000

6 posts · Feb 2010
Hi
Same version of Safari and OS X on both
Safari 4.0.4
OS X 10.6.2

I compared the plug ins and they all seem to be the same on Safari.

I downloaded Firefox on the Mac Book, tried that and it worked!!
Went back to Safari, and the widget admin page is still broken.

Obviously I will be able to workaround the problem now with firefox, but I would love to figure out what caused the problem in Safari on the Mac Book and yet Safari is working fine on the iMAC.

I thoroughly appreciate your help. Let me know if you do have any thoughts re fixing the problem in Safari.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you would like, send me a PM with a login and I'll take a look on my macbook
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:22 PM
shamrock 2000

6 posts · Feb 2010
Thank you. I have just sent you a PM
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I didn't see anything happen on your site, but I just remembered, I have seen this problem on my MAC, suddenly the dashboard is a long list. I would refresh the page and it cleared up. Problem is, I can't recreate ti at will.

I think something must time out or an error trap on the mac is tripped and all the html doesn't show up, so the page gets displayed as a list.

If it happens again, do a view source and copy it to a text document. That may give a hint at what is happening.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
shamrock 2000

6 posts · Feb 2010
Hi
I logged back in using Safari. Used the refresh button as you suggested and everything is back to normal.

Thanks so much for all your help!!