Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Atahualpa Theme looks crowded on ie7 and standard screen

Old Nov 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
kalispel

7 posts · Nov 2009
Toronto
I am quite happy with the way the atahualpa theme looks on a widescreen in firefox and safari. However, today I looked at it on ie7 and a standard screen and it looks quite crowded and the header and logo are now misplaced. I chose the theme because I hoped that its variable width and transparent overlays would work for both standard and wide screens.

Unfortunately, it is a school website and most of the computers in the schools have ie7 and standard screens.

Is there a way to size it down to fit?

www.marroccomerton.com

Thanks,

TK
Old Nov 5, 2009, 02:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
please define 'standard screen' - I've never met a standard that someone doesn't disagree with
Seriously. What size is the display. I have one that can goe from 1024X768 to 1680x1050 and another that can go from 800x600 to 1280X1024 - if I make a siite look good at 800x600, it looks terrible on the 1680x1050 - way too small and if I go the other way, the site is toobig (fonts etc)

One of the problems of web design
Old Nov 5, 2009, 03:54 PM
kalispel

7 posts · Nov 2009
Toronto
Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Ya, I guess there is no "standard" screen. The screens at school are not flat screen, but typical vdt monitors. I've noticed that another school site made in wordpress, with a header that is 900 x 200 seems proportionate when viewed in these monitors.

Giddy with my purchase of a macpro laptop, I forgot all about designing for the majority of the monitors my website would be viewed on. My header is a big ol' 2500 x 250 because I noticed that the original atahualpa header was gapping at either end when I stretched it out to fit my 15" mac pro screen. The original header in atahualpa is 1300 x 160.

But maybe I'm misdiagnosing the problem. Perhaps my mac-designed website is not working in the IE7browser? School boards are slow to upgrade, and our schoolboard just recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7. My header that is 250pixels deep blows up to a bign'ugly 5 inches deep in the Dell vtr display (IE7 browser), leaving no room for display of content.

I've noticed a few posts from mac users who are also experiencing difficulty with their websites in IE. Is this a mac vs pc thing?

kalispel
os10.6.1
firefox 3.5.3
atahualpa 3.4
wp 2.8.4
Old Nov 5, 2009, 04:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Remember, your not designing it on a mac, your viewing it on a mac. And Yes there are issues between browsers. On my wife's site (http;//callofthemuse.com) I had a great header using Zapfino. It looked great on teh mac in Safari and Firefox. Then I looked in IE8 - IE8 doesn't support Zapfino, so the beautiful scrolling 'Call of the Muse' was flat and ugly (I ended up taking a screen shot of the header on the Mac and then making that my header image. Not as elegant as the blog title built in, but now it looks the same in Safari, Firefox and IE, since it is a image)

So the moral is, what looks good on one browser might not on another (there is one issue wher Safari and Chrome display sometihing one way, Firefox another way and IE a third way!) So you have to view it on them all and plan on making some compromises
Old Nov 5, 2009, 05:27 PM
kalispel

7 posts · Nov 2009
Toronto
Yes, I've used a screen shot to fix an image too, but this is a rotating header, not a static one. I may be over my head, but I'm hoping to fix this at the code level. Is there a chunk of code that I can place that will fix the IE problem?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Two things, - all about screen real estate.
If you are working on a screen that is 800X600 - that is 600 px high - and you define your header image to be 250px then the image is using up 41% of the screen height and you have to change your design - the image will have to be shorter
2 - set a 'Layout MAX width' - then nomatter what monitor setting, you will know that it can only be a certian size.

the other thing to think about is, is the site for use in the school or for people on the outside? you want to pick the view size/design for the audience. It looks to me like you are using it for outsiders (ie Parents, prospective students etc) so wouldn't you want it to look best for the outside. You only want to design it to look best at 800x600 if you think that is what most of the outside world is using to look at it.
Food for thought.

p.s. you shoud put the full address/phone number in the header or footer. I hate it when I go to a site like this and have to spend time trying to determine where it is located. I point this out to all school and church sites I visit. Let me know right off where you are and how to contact you - on every page - seems like good advertizing.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 08:01 AM
kalispel

7 posts · Nov 2009
Toronto
Dear Juggledad,

You, kind sir, are awesome. Thank you for your sensible suggestions. You're right, I'm directing my website to outside people who want to view the website from home, and from their probably more up-to-date computers.

The footer suggestion is also very good. Will do.

I am very grateful for the help on this forum and realize that its pretty rare. I'm hoping to become a gold donation member as soon as Paypal verifies my updated account. Good work deserves to be paid.