Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] How do I get 2 widgets above and below each other?

Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:06 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
At the moment I am using the RHS inner sidebar to hold a text and categories widget.

But want to place another widget directly below this to hold the archive widget.

My current site is:

http://www.youradmin.co.uk/our-blog/

And I want it to look like:

http://weblog.joulesclothing.com/weblog/

But with the widgets right hand side.

I have tried the add a new widget function in ATO but it wasnt working properly and keep adding the category drop down bar across the entire width of the page?

I'm using 3.4

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
just add the widget to the sidebar. You can have as many as you want in the sidebar and you can rearrance them.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:19 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Thanks for coming back to me so quick JD.

Sorry for being dumb but I cant for the life of me work out how to add another widget to the sidebar...do I drag and drop something, change the ATO or change some of the Coding?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:23 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry I just want to clarify that I actually want to have one widget and then a completely seperate one?

If I add the archive widget to the RHS side bar then it just adds to the same bar, but I want 2 seperate sidebars or widgets:

One below the other but completely seperate boxes as in the Joules website I listed above...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 08:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Each sidebar can have multiple widgets in it. You go to dashbaord->appearances->widgets and select the widget you want and drag it to the sidebar. When you do this a dashed rectangle should show up fo you to drop the widget in. You can select a widget in teh sidebar and drag it above or below another widget to order them.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 08:21 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Hi yes sorry, maybe its the way I am explaining it. I realise I can have as many as I want in each sidebar...but what I guess I want is 2 sidebars then...one above the other.

I dont want the content all in one long bar...

I want one box with categories....then below that I want a completely different coloured box with archive in it...

2 completely seperate boxes/sidebars...

not one long sidebar?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
so why not configure the sidebar and each widget
First style the sidebar the way you want (ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS), then style the widgets that will show up inside the sidebar (ATO->Style WIDGETS)

You could also remove all teh style from teh sidebar if you want and just style the widget boxes.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:27 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Thanks, but how would I style one half of the RHS widget and the other half totally different?

Ie -if I wanted the top box with just categories in it green, then a space then another box exactly the same size underneath it but a completely different colour. Fonts and font sizes different in each too?

Can that be done? If not, can I have one sidebar then place another directly underneath it but both in the centre column, directly above and below one another but appearing as two seperate boxes?

Is it possible to have as many sidebars vertically lined up in one column as you like...or is it only possible for the 4 sidebars in total on the one page? Ie Left, inner left, right and inner right?

Also can you move the sidebars around on the page or do they have to go full lenght of the post as mine is showing now?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) you can't style a half of a sidebar - you can style widget 1, then style widget 2 different, then style widget 3 different from 1 or 2. The windges are on top of each other not side by side.

2) the built in theme sidebars run the height of the center area. the center area is a variable height (depends on how many posts on a 'post' page or how much info you have on a 'page' page

3) You can pretty much customize widgets independent of each other. You have to look at the source that is generated, get teh widget ID and then build a CSS Insert for each one
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Norwichkaren, you can easily see the CSS if you use Firefox and the Firebug add-on. I see the widgets on that site get their nice box effect from:
Code:
#categoriesbox {
border:1px solid #BDBDBD;
margin-bottom:25px;
text-align:center;
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Ok and great I think we are getting there...yay!

So....where exactly do I get another widget from as I cant seem to create a new widget as per the coding on that page tells me to...

Am I going wrong somewhere....I created another widget earlier but it then went centre of the page instead of right hand bottom of the page?

Can you tell me what code I should use for the CSS if I want to create a new widget bottom right....should it be:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=1&align=5&width=300>'); ?>
pasted in to the centre column somewhere.

Then:
#categoriesbox {

To get the same as the site I wanted? Thanks for that PaulaE

Sorry...but I am still so new to CSS ive spent all day on this so far....

Karen
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:16 PM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Also sorry PaulaE should that code you gave me go in to the CSS inserts box?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) you don't have to add any new widget areas if you can use the sidebars to hold all the widgets you want.
2) add the widgets you want to use into the sidebar
3) view the bolg so you can see the sidebar and widgets.
4) view the source of the page
5) scroll till you see something like '<!-- Right Sidebar -->' - this is the start of the widgets
6) look at the code and determine if the widget has an ID= or just a class= foir example
HTML Code:
<div id="archives-4" class="widget widget_archive"><div class="widget-title"><h3>Archived Blogs…</h3></div>
here you can see there is an ID="archives-4" you can now use the code Paulae suggested
HTML Code:
#archives-4 {
}
to style that widget.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:26 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Ok great thanks....

So I added the below to the CSS and it has done nothing at all:

#categories-4 {
}

The sidebars are all still one long column with no border around each?

If you take a look at:

youradmin.co.uk/our-blog/

You will see what I mean. My page source is currently:

<!-- Left INNER Sidebar -->
<td id="left-inner">

<div id="categories-3" class="widget widget_categories"><div class="widget-title"><h3>Blogs by us…</h3></div>

</ul>
</div><div id="archives-4" class="widget widget_archive"><div class="widget-title"><h3>Archives</h3></div>

So can you tell me where I have gone wrong please?!??!??

Thank you to both
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:45 AM
norwichkaren

56 posts · Jul 2009
Ah I think I have sussed it! Let me see if I can work this out properly now...