I figured this out myself, and will post a couple of comments so that others may benefit from what I learned.
scripting is often written with the $ variable aliased to the jQuery
that I didn't understand (and originally ignored) that takes away that alias or shortcut to avoid potential problems:
Because of this, I had to rewrite my code
to use the full jQuery
Once I figured this out, I was on my way. I still have a lot to learn, but now I can get jQuery code
working on any page on the site by placing it in the js.php file.
One suggestion: since this code
would be lost if / when I upgrade to a later version of Atahualpa, perhaps an option for jQuery
coding could be added into the ATO in a way similar to the CSS inserts. This would also make it very clear where to add the code
, and could include documentation that informs users that they need to use jQuery
() instead of $() syntax.
I hope this little explanation and my suggestion are helpful.