Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Atahualpa 3.7.27 (and future versions)

Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:55 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Valentin Treu and me decided to Move Atahualpa development to Github - anyone is welcome to join and fix or improve things.

https://github.com/rivella50/atahualpa

We are happy about juggledads last versions - but each of them was buggy and github provides a much better environment to add fixes in case of broken things.

Please don't use github for questions about how to do X or Y - should this forum shut down you can use the wordpress atahualpa forum for that.
Do post patches or improvements on Github though. We hope this forum is not taken down as lots of valuable information about how to achieve certain things can only be found here.

If you want to write tutorials for certain things - feel free to use github issues section. Better not here or post it twice because as per above message it is not clear when and how long this forum will continue to be accessible!

If someone has the skills, some important improvements for atahualpa would be making it work with the wordpress customizer - that's a huge task. Another worthwile thing for example is updating the explanations in the atahualpa options for responsive designs (a must by now) or making the page menu 1 sticky to the top of the page (nearly every modern theme does this now). Also the sidebars could be made semisticky to not scroll down with empty space.

Google Fonts could be integrated better. There are plenty of things possible to do. The codebase of Atahualpa is still great - so thanks Flynn, Juggledad and anyone else for having created it. Still many people use it. While pagebuilders offer easier styling - Atahualpa with some CSS inserts offers in many cases much more flexibility - and for many missing things you can use plugins. E.g. Shortcodes Ultimate for tabs, spoilers, and so on.

For at least another couple of years, maybe even a decade, atahualpa users should be able to continue running their websites with atahualpa instead of painfully switching to another theme.

Would I personally start a website from scratch with Atahualpa? Likely no - but moving a website you invested a lot of time into - to another theme/pagebuilder will mean loads of work and without adapting your content maybe not even possible. As usually we setup the structure of our websites with the possibilites of the theme/framework. There will be many great and new features not making it to Atahualpa (as it looks right now) - but many features it has don't exist on newer themes. So long live Atahualpa.

I could not reach Flynn or Juggledad for over a month - that's why we went ahead without their consent (possible with the license - not fully sure we would need to change the name of future theme versions. If Flynn asks so - no problem though it may make it even harder then to find newer versions for existing users)
Old Jul 5, 2023, 04:47 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
BTW - version 3.7.28 (or current snapshot on github) - can be fully w3css compatible. There were some bugs for many years in css.php file. Some options will still cause broken css (e.g. the min-widht-layout=???px) but the most part is fine now. Hardcoded stuff in CSS.php is actually the most annoying for me about Atahulpa - because most content in css.php will overwrite your css inserts - and editing it directly would cut you from seemless future updates.
So I feel the only file that would need some big overhaul is css.php and move hardcoded css from there into a css insert.

Yeah needs quite some CSS inserts to make it responsive and wiggle out other areas where options are missing. But it's way more flexible vs most other themes.

Generatepress actually comes quite close if you need a replacement. For most other themes you need to install additional menu plugin like max mega menu to replicate the atahualpa pages menu (menu1).