Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Need Google calendar events widget

Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:09 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I want to switch to a Google calendar for our site, and have a sidebar widget with a list of upcoming events, drawn from the multiple calendars making up the main calendar. I've got the embedded Google calendar working fine, on a Page. So far I haven't found a plugin that will show everything, and one plugin I tried just blew up the whole page.

Any successes out there?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:03 PM
tiber

11 posts · Jun 2009
Hello there,

I tried as you did to use the existing widgets plug-ins for google calendar, but also like you none I found worked correctly. We'll use the embedded form until a plugin shows up.

We would like to have our Calendar of Events on one page, and then have the first few events from that calendar linked in a sidebar widget also.
The one sidebar widget available for this likely just needs a few tweaks and should fill our needs. You probably had similar results that when you put the code into a php widget your site didn't load?

The default color scheme for the calendar dovetails nicely with what we're trying to do on our test site - http://duartefruittrees.com/?page_id=224

Last edited by tiber; Jul 13, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Yes, the widget somehow cut off the remaining PHP on the page, making it disappear. And I couldn't even get rid of the widget, because the Save button in the widget admin area was also gone. The solution was to rewrite execphp to allow for the widget to be removed, then put back the original execphp code. Maddening!

I wish the Google folks would just come out with their own WP sidebar widget that wouln't blow up the site!

I like the Google colors, too. I've incorporated several calendars into one, using different colors for different types of events. I also like the map feature in the event detail.

I just noticed that you can use the Agenda view when in the embed area, and then add the HTML code to a text widget. That works, sort of, but you can't then read the whole event title unless you have a very wide sidebar. Rats. That would have been the perfect solution, if the text wrapped.

Last edited by paulae; Jul 13, 2009 at 03:19 PM.