Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Different widths for pages and posts

Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:13 PM
pvelte

38 posts · Apr 2010
I thought I could easily figure this out but am finally losing my mind... so Help, please!

The page width for the site I am building is 1600px, which I have set in the ATO / Layout. The posts, on both the single posts and the homepage for posts needs a width of 1000px. When I try using using left/right margins, e.g.

div.post {margin-right: 300px;}

but the right sidebar (used only on posts, not used on pages) stays far to the right. I need to bring both left and right sides in 300px each.

I've tried setting the layout width to 1000px and changing each page's width in CSS to 1600px but having been unsuccessful using variations of:

.page-id-51 #content {
margin-left: -300px;
}

or

body.page-id-11 .container {
max-width: 1600px;

but have had no success. I only have 5 pages so it's not a problem to style them individually, if I could only get it to work.

What am I missing that should be obvious? Thank you or your help.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 03:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Here is an easy way to solve this
1) get rid of the CSS you have entered
2) at ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->RIGHT INNER sidebar WIDTH set it to '300'
3) at ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->RIGHT sidebar: Display on: UNCHECK
Front Page
"Page" pages
"Not Found" (your choice)
Attachments (your choice)
4) at ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->RIGHT INNER sidebar: Display on: CHECK ONLY
Front Page
"Page" pages
"Not Found" (your choice)
Attachments (your choice)
5) go to Appearances->Widgets->Right Inner Sidebar and add a 'TEXT widget
6) in the contents of the TEXT widget enter ' ' (this is a blank character)

You are all done.

So now you will display the Right Sidebar on the pages with posts (blog, author, tag etc) but not the RIght Inner side bar. On teh PAGE pages you will display the Right Inner sidebar and not the Right sidebar. You have to add a text widget to teh Right Inner sidebar so you don't get the three default widgets
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:42 AM
pvelte

38 posts · Apr 2010
Wow! Thank you so much for the rapid response and an easy peasy solution. So much better (and successful) than the direction I was taking!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 04:51 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Glad to be of help. I'll mark this one solved.