Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Recent posts on front page, older on blog page

Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:18 AM
tglass118

16 posts · Dec 2009
My clients wants her 5 most recent posts on front page and a blog page with the rest. Can't figure out how to do this. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:58 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could probably use the List Category Posts plugin with an offset attribute to show all the posts except for the first five on a blog page. Then set the home page to show latest posts in Settings>Reading and set this to show 5 posts in the theme settings.

I'm not certain about how exact those instructions are but when setting it up it should be clear.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:39 PM
cefiar

24 posts · Jun 2014
Melbourne, Australia
You could use something like the TPG Get Posts plugin to do that. https://wordpress.org/plugins/tpg-get-posts/

Advantage: You can embed other content on the main page before/after the posts. I use a similar (but older) plugin on one site so we have a tiny blurb before the 3 most recent posts on the main page.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:45 PM
tglass118

16 posts · Dec 2009
Thanks very much. I'm trying both. Having more luck with TPG Get Posts. I'm able to display the first 5 most recent posts on the front page (with some formatting problems). But don't know how to omit the first 5 posts on the blog page.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 02:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You could try using the 'Multi column/custom query' template supplied with the theme. Create a page that you would use as your blog page and use the 'offset' parameter in the query. This may cause a problem with the pagination. Read the linked article about that and you may have to do some customizaton of the template.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 07:55 AM
tglass118

16 posts · Dec 2009
Thanks Juggledad. I see how that works but don't know where to add the offset query ($query = new WP_Query( array( 'offset' => 3 ) ). I'm not a coder.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 09:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you use the template you can put it in the custom query - go read the thread: 'TEMPLATE: Multi Column/Custom Query' in the Gold Forum>>Tutorials