Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

feature image help

Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:21 AM
baimac

6 posts · Mar 2015
Where can I learn how to show and control the appeareance and location of featured image on posts? Can I just select it like an image? I use TPG get posts, and if I put the featured image in the body of the post, and as a separate featured image, it is doubled on the lists of posts on a page showing TPG get posts.

when I added this
<?php the_post_thumbnail(medium); ?>
to index (i think that was it's name)

the image appeared in the bottom line of the breadcrumbs.

Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2015, 04:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you add that code to part of the theme's code or the plugin's code?
and where exactly did you add it?

If you added it to the plugin - you should probably ask the plugin author for help...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 08:40 AM
baimac

6 posts · Mar 2015
Rather than helping me with the pluggin, can you point me to how i can make the featured image appear in a post's webpage. That seems like a common request. When visitors are looking at the post, I would want them to see the feautred image, but I can't figure out how to make it appear. I'm reading now about "Function_Reference/the_post_thumbnail" and "The_Loop" but have no idea if i am on the right track?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 08:46 AM
baimac

6 posts · Mar 2015
In the index.php, I just entered this line shortly after the comment that is already on code
/* If there are any posts: */
and just above post headline.

<?php the_post_thumbnail( $size, $attr ); ?>

It seems to do what I wanted. Now I'm trying to find out how to specify size and attr.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Rather than helping me with the pluggin, can you point me to how i can make the featured image appear in a post's webpage
Just add the image to the post with the text.

Themes treat featured images differently - Atahualpa uses the featured image in the excerpt but does not put it in the post. This way your featured image can be different from the image in teh post.

it's all a matter of choice. If the featured image automatically showed on the post page, there would be people that wouldn't want that to happen - the 40-40-10-10 rule for options - 40% of the people want it one way, 40% want it the opposite way, 10% don't care and the other 10% say 'Oh, wow! I didn't know that option existed...'
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:47 AM
baimac

6 posts · Mar 2015

The link above is a screen shot of my website with crome developer.
I'm trying to change the image size of thumbnail from 150 to 120. Fromwhere is the 150 coming? In Atahualpa settings, I have thumbnail set to 120 width and height. When I added the image to media library originally, it is about a 400px square, and on the list of TPG get posts, I want them to appear only as 120 px.

When I look at instructions for changing thumbnail dimensions
ahttps://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/set_post_thumbnail_size
it shows that I shoud edit the functions.php file. But my functions php file doesn't look like the one in the instructions.

set_post_thumbnail_size( $bfa_ata['post_thumbnail_width'], $bfa_ata['post_thumbnail_height'], true );
else set_post_thumbnail_size( $bfa_ata['post_thumbnail_width'], $bfa_ata['post_thumbnail_height'] );
add_image_size( 'single-post-thumbnail', 400, 9999 ); // Permalink thumbnail size
Old Nov 12, 2015, 02:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you want to change the size of the thumbnails of images that have already been loaded, youneed to use a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/
Old Nov 12, 2015, 05:36 PM
baimac

6 posts · Mar 2015
Hi again.

I've installed and run the "Regenerate Thumbnails" and images are still showing as 150px, not 120px. Because my list of posts is from TPG-get posts, I don't know if the issue is solvable by editing TPG-get-post code, or Atahualpa code.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 06:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You set the size of the thumbnail/Featured image at ATO->Post THUMBNAILS
then run the regenerate thumbnails
Old Nov 13, 2015, 06:55 AM
baimac

6 posts · Mar 2015
Thanks for the instructions. However, I don't know what this means "ATO->Post THUMBNAILS." Is that the wordpress dashboard, Dashboard > Appearance > Atahualpa Theme Options > Posts & pages > Post Thumbnails > Post Thumbnail Width (& height)?

This has been set for 120 px for weeks and crop is sta to "no".
I'm trying to figure out where the 150 px hight and width is coming from in the code visible in Chrome's developer.