Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

click on splashscreen to play embedded Youtube video

Old Jan 7, 2015, 02:05 PM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
On this page:
http://www.thestrapsaver.com/video-test/
I want to play an embedded youtube video in a widget when the placeholder image is clicked.
I don't know much about javascript, so I am relying on examples that I find on the web.

I tried the two suggestions here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...-youtube-movie
(the top answer from stldoug and the one below that from Brand Provoke. the splashpage looks fine regardless of which suggestion I use, but nothing happens when I click the placeholder image.

the javascript suggested in the stackoverflow answer is added to the MTO>Head>Insert code >bottom

What am I doing wrong/missing?
Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 04:44 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
First, you want to move the event handler function inside the jQuery ready function that you defined earlier for the hamburger menu.

Then you want to slightly alter the event handler function:
Code:
<script>
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
   ... hamburger menu code ...

$('#video').click(function() {
$(this).html('<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9NETPGxan44?autoplay=1" width="298" height="175" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>').css('background', 'none');
});

});
</script>
Note that instead of setting the click event handler using the on function, it's being set using the click function. Also, instead of an ampersand before autoplay, you want to use a question mark. That's because it's the first parameter in the list. If there were any additional parameters, then you would use an ampersand.

You may also want to add a cursor: pointer; property to the CSS so it's apparent to the user that they can click on the image.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 07:56 AM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
Thanks, I don' think its quite there yet.....I'm wondering if when I moved the script for the embedded video I needed to change the closing paranthesis and brackets on the hamburger.....
when I match up the punctuation, it looks wrong, ...it looks like after the end of the hamburger menu code I should have

// Slide the container back
jQuery("#widgetarea-sidemenu").animate({left: "-100%"}, 700);
menuToggled = 0;
}
};

// for the video placeholder on the in the sidebar widget

instead of: because the ")" is not matching with anything above....
// Slide the container back
jQuery("#widgetarea-sidemenu").animate({left: "-100%"}, 700);
menuToggled = 0;
}
});

// for the video placeholder on the in the sidebar widget
But neither is working.....what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for all your help!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 08:36 AM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
It looks good, except don't break up the code line into two separate lines, i.e., change this:
Code:
 $(this).html('<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9NETPGxan44?autoplay=1" 
    width="298" height="175" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true">').css('background', 'none');
to this:
Code:
 $(this).html('<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9NETPGxan44?autoplay=1" width="298" height="175" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true">').css('background', 'none');
Also, you might try taking off the .css('background', 'none') at the end of that line. What I've found is that there's a lag between when the background image disappears and the iframe gets loaded, resulting in a blank space for a few seconds. If the background image is just left in there, the iframe will cover it up once it loads.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 09:31 AM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
Thanks, that did the trick! so javascript has fits if there are extra spaces / line breaks?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:10 AM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
It's OK to break a statement across multiple lines, or with extra spaces, but you shouldn't break a line in the middle of a literal string. You can continue a broken literal string by adding a backslash as the continuation character at the end of the broken line(s):
Code:
 $(this).html('<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9NETPGxan44?autoplay=1"  \
    width="298" height="175" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true">').css('background', 'none');

Last edited by CrouchingBruin; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM.