Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Some frustration with moving web site to new hosts

Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:04 PM
justme

22 posts · Feb 2014
In the course of moving my wordpress site to a new host, I seem to have lost many of my Atahualpa settings. This seems to defeat the purpose of going through the whole transfer process instead of simply rebuilding the small site.

But the really strange thing, that seems new to me, is I now can't seem to log in to two Wordpress sites at the same time so I can simply copy the old settings to the new site. I'm not sure if this is something new built into Wordpress security or if it has something to do with a cookie set by the new host. (The site was moved from Yahoo to GoDaddy - both the client's choice).

Anyway I feel quite frustrated now. This should have been a simple process of just FTPing over the WP files and moving the database, but instead it has caused problems all day, and now the Atahualpa settings are missing. I'm glad I looked first before hitting the big green "save" button!

Any words of advice for this situation?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:24 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Not sure if this will help at this point but I always use BackupBuddy to transfer sites. It takes care of all the variables.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:58 PM
justme

22 posts · Feb 2014
I'll go look at this now.

*hopes it's free*

Do you know anything about this inability to log into 2 wordpress sites at once now? Is that being built into Wordpress security, or is it unique to my situation, probably related to some cookie set by the hosts involved?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:01 PM
justme

22 posts · Feb 2014
Aw BackupBuddy is a pay app.

I'm a bottom feeder that gets paid little and tries to spend nothing. Is there a way to move an Atahualpa site these days without losing the variables?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:04 PM
justme

22 posts · Feb 2014
By the way, the DB export/import kept some Atahualpa settings (background color, many layout options), but lost others. Strange.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Are the two sites using different domain names?
I also use backupbuddy.

Quote:

I'm a bottom feeder that gets paid little and tries to spend nothing. Is there a way to move an Atahualpa site these days without losing the variables?
then you should charge more otherwise you drag down the pricing ability of everyone else.

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 13, 2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:34 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme

The problem with free apps is they are not as well supported and generally more cumbersome to use.

Not sure why your import is not working and besides that when you move the database all those Atahualpa settings should be in it.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:35 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
Speaking as one who hosts a lot of WordPress sites (buildinghosting.com), some of whom use ATA, I think the issues should be supported by your hosting service. I know of no limit on logging into multiple WP installations on the same server. I usually have three or four open simultaneously and I run a an admin control panel (IWP) that sometimes causes a few dozen to be updated in rapid sequence, some while open, some closed.

So I don't think that is your issue.

I suspect an import issue, and that should be solved for you by your host.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
One thing that can cause issues moving a site is if you export a database and import it into a new database without changing all the URL references in the database export. Now you will have two sites but they will both point to the original.

I suspect this is what has happened. When you log into the original everything is ok. Next you login using a new browser window and the new domain name, but the entries in the new database point back to the original domain/DB and you log in fine, but it destroys the connection you first has to that DB. So when you go back to the original browser window, the user link has been severed and you have to login again.

I had one customer I had to figure out an issue for. Turns out they created a site on a test server. They copied all the files (except the DB) to the production machine. The site was used in production, data entered, work done etc. then someone on the test site decided to clear out the database and they wiped out ALL the production data - both sites using the same DB. To make matters worse, they had no database backup and to make matters even worse, the IT group hadn't backed up the disk the database was on.

There was nothing I could do but point out the series of errors and lack of backups. As you can guess, someone got in trouble.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:29 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
As usual, Juggledad offers the most likely cause of the situation, as described. of course, that description may not, inadvertantly, contain all the facts that a direct examination of the files may reveal.

However, you can do no further harm by starting with a complete back up. If your hosting service offers cPAnel (i would never want to manage a site without it), use their Backup Wizard in full backup mode and then download a copy.

Make a second copy and also put that on your local disk (desktop computer). Put one of them away in case needed.

Install one of the server emulations that let you run the web site locally and unzip the backup into that installation. Once you have the site open locally, install a global find/replace plugin. First confirm that Juggledad is right by searching for those misdirected links.

Then run replace appropriately.

if that solves the issues, repack it into the same cPanel backup. Change its name - perhaps by adding the word "fixed" (no quotes). Upload that to the server and have your hosting support replace the damaged web site with the uploaded backup.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:39 AM
justme

22 posts · Feb 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. Meanwhile, I was away for a week and couldn't read them! I'm just catching up now.

As much as I played around with the links in the database, I could not log in to the old wordpress site to export the settings, so I did end up having to re-create most of the Atahualpa entries.

But now there are still some very weird glitches.

First, there is a menu item/page that is "not found": I checked the database, and it was pointing to the new site. I even tried re-publishing the page at the new site. Still "not found".

I wanted the menu items to capitalize when you moused over them, but I couldn't make it work like that: apparently they would either stay all caps or stay sentence case. However, while I was looking into this, I noticed one menu item was different. It was changing text size when I rolled over it, and when I clicked on it, it wasn't going to the page in question.

So I'm having some lingering troubles with the link structure. I'm not sure what to do about it. The links are all to the current site when I look at the database. The permalinks are glitchy.

...and in the time it took for me to write this post, I decided to try re-saving the permalinks. Now I have a 404 error for the whole site, and it's too late in the evening for tech support.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Without spending some time actually digging into your site - i.e. access to the database, ftp access, cPanel access - there is not much more advice I can give you other than what has been given.

If you want me to take a look, send me a PM and I'll quote you my rates.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:23 AM
Ashly85

1 posts · Aug 2014
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Look thru the theme options and go read about moving sites at WordPress.org

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 19, 2014 at 09:22 AM.