Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Selectively display posts from other blogs

Old May 22, 2014, 07:05 PM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
I am searching for a plugin which will allow me to display selected posts from other blogs. There is a group of people who, on the 4th of each month, post on each of their blogs a special topic. I manually put those posts on a static page with the title (linked to their blog post), and a summary of the post. I want to expand that to include a thumbnail from the post and the author. And I want to have it done automatically, without having to construct the page myself each month.

I know I can use a RSS plugin to pull in every post (or number of posts) from each blog, but is there some way to only pull in 1 post from each blog, and it must be the post I want, identifiable by either category, tag, or a selected phrase in the post.

I'd prefer not to have to actually import the posts, but if that is the only way I can do it, that is ok.

It's kind of like what I see on some sites where there is a slider which shows related posts, but instead of related posts from my blog, I want related posts from others' blogs. It doesn't have to be a slider, but that is the ideal.

I hope I am explaining this clearly. So far I have not found a plugin which quite does this, but am hoping that someone else has. Thanks!
Old May 23, 2014, 06:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This is the type of action that will reduce your rankings in google, could be considered stealing and probably violates several copyright laws unless you have the explicit permission from the original author to repost the information.
Old May 23, 2014, 01:57 PM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Sorry, I thought I was clear. I do have the explicit permission from the original author to repost the information. I'm not stealing anything, all the participants submit their posts voluntarily - they are all part of a gardening group, and it's not that I want to import their posts, I merely want to show title, excerpt, date, blogger's name, thumbnail and link back to their posts.
Old May 23, 2014, 02:27 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ok, that makes more sense. I have no suggestions for you , I'd try looking on wordpress.org and try a google search. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion also.

Last edited by juggledad; May 31, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 07:01 PM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Well, because the participants are using different platforms (Wordpress vs Blogger vs Ghost), and blogger doesn't seem to use categories, we've decided to shelve the project for the time being, but if all had been on Wordpress, and could create a common category with identical slugs, it turns out that one can specify a feed with a category. Someone on the Wordpress user forum gave me that information. For example, http://foobar.com/category/roses/feed/ would bring in all posts in the roses category. So instead of just using the usual feed address http://foobar.com/feed, I could have used the category feed with the aggregator. Good to know, as I had no idea that was possible.

Just wanted to let others know, in case the issue comes up for someone else.