Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

HOWTO: Making an Author Bio/Information Box

Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:49 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
There are many different "Author Bio Box" plugins. Some good, some less than good... some no longer supported.
Did you know that you can make a nice Author Box within Atahualpa? You can!

First, if you want the author's photo to appear, you will need to do a tweak to an Atahualpa file... I know, I know... that's a no-no. Here's the tweak...
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/gravatar-in-byline Flynn was going to put it into an update of Atahualpa, but unfortunately it never made it. (Moderators... Maybe it could be included in the next Atahualpa update?? Pretty please?? ;-)
You'll also want to add the plugin "User Photo" - It works nicely with this.

Next, in the Atahualpa Theme Options/ Edit Post/Page Info Items, scroll down and place the following above whatever you have in the "Footer: Single Post Pages", or wherever you are going to want the bio box to appear.

Code:
<div class="author-box">
  <div class="author-bio">%author-description%</div>
  <div class="author-info">
    <p class="author-name">%author-firstname% %author-lastname%</p>
    <p class="author-posts">%author-posts-link%</p>
    <p class="author-website">
      <a href="%author-url%">%author-firstname% on LinkedIn</a></p>
  </div>
  <div class="author-gravatar">%gravatar%</div>
</div>
I realize that I went a bit overboard with the classes, but my client's site needed some specific css.
Speaking of css, here's basically what I used in Atahualpa's "HTML/CSS inserts page. Obviously, your css needs will differ but this is a good starting point...

Code:
/* Author Bio Box  */
.author-box {
position:relative;
min-height:130px;
width:660px;
margin:10px auto;
border: solid 1px #cccccc;
}

div.author-bio {
position:relative;
width: 400px;
padding:10px;
}
.author-info {
position:absolute;
width:136px;
top:0px;
right:105px;
text-align:right;
}
.author-name {
margin-top:4px;
}

.author-posts:before {
content:"View all posts by \A ";
white-space: pre; /* or pre-wrap */
}

.author-posts a, .author-website a{
color:#2e4672 !important;
text-decoration:underline !important;
font-weight:600 !important;
line-height:18px;
}
.author-gravatar {
position:absolute;
width:80px;
text-align:center;
right:18px;
top:50%;
margin-top:-40px;
}
Well, there you go... An Author Bio Box without a plugin thanks to the wonderful versitility of Atahualpa.

If you like tidbits like this, do tip your Moderators and the author of Atahualpa, Flynn!! They work hard to help folks use this amazing theme!