Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Custom Grids

Old Mar 2, 2014, 03:44 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
I'm an advanced Atahualpa user who finally caved in, and started messing around with Montezuma.

Awesome theme, but while going through the grid section, the biggest responsive max-size I was able to find was 960px.

Is there a way to get a better use of screen real estate for larger monitors? For example, I would like to use about 1350 px for the content, and still retain the responsiveness of it (kind of like smartpassiveincome.com does - I am modeling my first Montezuma project after that site's layout)

I saw the 100% layout, but I don't necessarily want to go that route either - just looking for something in between

Any tips?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 04:21 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
to work, the size has to be an even divisible of 12 since there are 12 columns in the grid. The size you picked, 1350 is not divisable be 12 (1350/12=112.5). You could use 1344 or 1356 since they are both divisable by 12 evenly.

If you wanted to use a bigger size, you are going to have to edit one of the CSS grids (MTZ->default-templates->css->grids and do all the math there.

Last edited by lmilesw; Mar 3, 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 01:48 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
How about giving this a try: Choose a 100% grid, but then add this CSS to the end of the various.css virtual template:
Code:
#banner-bg, #breadcrumbs1-bg, #main, #footer-bg {
   max-width: 1356px;
   margin-left: auto;
   margin-right: auto;
}
To get the post thumbnails to expand out fully, the first parameter to bfa_thumb in post.php would have to change from 620 to 852 for a 1356px wide layout. Not sure if the second parameter would have to be changed in proportion, trying to play around with it.

Last edited by CrouchingBruin; Mar 4, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:37 AM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
I've set a full day aside to play with Montezuma tomorrow. You guys rock, thank you so much!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 07:05 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
...you are going to have to edit one of the CSS grids (MTZ->default-templates->css->grids and do all the math there.
Hmm, I'm not seeing the MTZ->default-templates->css->grids option. I found "MTZ->Main Templates->Add main template", but that's not likely what you're talking about.

There is also "MTZ->SCC Settings->Choose CSS Grid", but I don't think that's it either
Old Mar 5, 2014, 07:28 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Did you try my suggestion above?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 05:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
It's not a theme setting. It's a theme file you need to edit
Old Mar 6, 2014, 02:57 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
@CrouchingBruin, you rock! I tried that and it totally works.

I was a little hesitant cause I'm not as familiar with the theme as I am with atahualpa, so I'm not sure what unnacounted divs may break out of the mold with that code, but here is only one way to found out

I think I'll strip the CSS files clear and then start adding one rule at the time and see how it affects the frontend. It's a slow way to learn, but the best way INMHO.

@Juglledad, my bad - I forgot to mention I also looked in the installation of the theme, but I haven't found the default-templates directory there either. So I just started opening up folders inside, now that I read your reply, and found it within with admin directory.

Big thanks to both of you, you guys rock!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:37 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
I see the 5 equal width columns section divides the 960 px by five.

Does that mean that the total width has to also be divisible by 5, or do I round the 1/5 to the nearest number and leave 5th col to to take whatever is left over?

Also, for the sake of anyone else who may one day be searching for this info, here is how to edit the grid files (yellow text is what I added, and I highlighted the important values in the document with red)

Last edited by flyboy; Mar 7, 2014 at 09:07 PM.