Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Customization of "Comments are Closed" not working?

Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:19 AM
markzip

60 posts · Jan 2010
Atuhualpa 3.7.13
WP 3.8
www.portraitindonesia.com

This blog is now mothballed. We have transferred the contents to a new domain www.indonesiaetc.com and the project is morphing from a blog about a journey into a site promoting the book written about that journey and the country in which it took place. The original site is hanging around for historical and SEO purposes.

So now we want to
1) Turn off all further comments in the old site.
2) Say in the post footer that the comments are off, but that they continue over at the new site.

1) In Dashboard > Settings > Discussion: I have unchecked "Allow people to post comments on new articles", it appears to have had no effect.
I *have* been able to individually turn off comments on a few posts by using the "Quick Edit" feature from Dashboard > Posts > All Posts menu.
But I'd rather do it globally all at once.

2) In ATO Style & Configure Comments I have changed the text in the "Comments Are Closed text" box to read "Comments are closed here, but continue over at www.indonesiaetc.com" (Actually, I'd like for that URL to be clickable, but that doesn't work either, and I may be asking too much). But that version does not show up.
Here is an example of a page on which I manually closed the comments:
http://portraitindonesia.com/can-ind...care/#comments
As you can see, it just has the default "Comments are closed" text.

Stumped.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
1) In Dashboard > Settings > Discussion: I have unchecked "Allow people to post comments on new articles", it appears to have had no effect.
I *have* been able to individually turn off comments on a few posts by using the "Quick Edit" feature from Dashboard > Posts > All Posts menu.
But I'd rather do it globally all at once.
That's a WordPress feature…I'd search for a plugin to do that
Quote:
2) In ATO Style & Configure Comments I have changed the text in the "Comments Are Closed text" box to read "Comments are closed here, but continue over at www.indonesiaetc.com" (Actually, I'd like for that URL to be clickable, but that doesn't work either, and I may be asking too much). But that version does not show up.
Here is an example of a page on which I manually closed the comments:
http://portraitindonesia.com/can-ind...care/#comments
As you can see, it just has the default "Comments are closed" text.
If a thead has comments closed AND has no comments, the ATO->Style & Configure Comments->Comments Are Closed text will show.
if a thread has comments and the comments are closed, the post footer can show the fact that comments are closed (ATO->Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS using the %comments…% variable)

If you want the "Comments are closed" text to show after all teh existing comments, you could edit comments.php and change line 83 from
HTML Code:
<?php endif; // END of "If there are NO comments" ?>
to
HTML Code:
<?php endif; // END of "If there are NO comments" ?>
<?php if ( ('open' <> $post->comment_status) ) {
		 echo  $bfa_ata['comments_are_closed_text'] ; } ?>
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:55 PM
markzip

60 posts · Jan 2010
Thanks for the help, Juggledad.
1) I bit the bullet and just changed the comments to off manually.

2) I made an error earlier, in that I did not make it plain that the issue I was having was with the footer at the bottom of posts on a feed page (such as the front page). The ATO Comments are closed text box DOES, in fact, propagate to the individual post page. It shows up at the very end of the post page, after the grey footer bar. But ONLY on posts which do not have comments.

So I used the suggested code in the comments.php and now I have the correct "Comments are closed here, but continue..." link at the bottom of every post page (with live link!). Naturally, it repeats twice at the bottom of posts where there are no comments. (I'm willing to ignore this repetition to get the single line under posts which do have comments)

So now we've sorted out the issue for individual post pages. Here's an example of a permalinked post with a comment : http://portraitindonesia.com/can-ind...han-obamacare/
And here's one for a permalinked post without a comment : http://portraitindonesia.com/vocab-l...-in-indonesia/

BUT BUT BUT I am still trying to get the new text to show up in the grey footer box immediately below the posts when they are part of a feed page (like the front page and tag pages)
See the attached screen shot from a tag page. It lists several different posts with that particular tag. You can see the footer has the old, default, text.

??

TIA

Last edited by markzip; Dec 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
go back and read post #2 again
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:20 PM
markzip

60 posts · Jan 2010
Of course. It really helps to read the answers carefully the first time.

Apologies.

That fixed it.

I am always so pleased with the flexibility and power of Atahualpa and the speed, courtesy and efficiency of the forums.

My donation to Juggledad is made. I encourage others to do the same!

Zip
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:47 PM
markzip

60 posts · Jan 2010
Not that I want to push my luck, but is there a programmatical way to tell the footer text to make the link in the footer go to the same post on the new site?

At the moment the text in the footer part of Edit POST/PAGE Info Items says:

HTML Code:
Comments are closed here, but continue over at <a href="http://www.indonesiaetc.com"><font color="#ff0000">www.indonesiaetc.com</font></a>
Is there a way to make it say:

HTML Code:
Comments are closed here, but continue over at <a href="http://www.indonesiaetc.com/insert-permalink-of-post-here"><font color="#ff0000">www.indonesiaetc.com/insert-permalink-of-post-here</font></a>
Old Jan 9, 2014, 03:06 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Is there a way, sure. There is a way to do anything, it just depends on how dirty you want to get your hands.

Can I tell you right off the top of my head…nope, but I can tell you where to look bfa_post_parts.php.

You will probably have to create a custom fields for the posts and in each post put the link to the new post so the code could grab that from the existing post to put into the footer.

Keep us updated on your progress and share your solution. There may be someone else that would like to do it too.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jan 9, 2014 at 03:53 PM.