Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How to put images between menu items

Old Nov 6, 2013, 03:14 PM
gr870sfunk

110 posts · Mar 2011
Montgomery, AL
I scoured the forums for an answer I could live with, but I didn't find one.

After over an hour of trial and error, I have figured it out and thought I would share my newly acquired abilities. Lord knows if i've got/had this problem someone else has too.

The trick is to make it your background image on the links within the menu. Getting the positioning can be a little tedious, but that's just the way she goes.

This is the CSS for my menu:
HTML Code:
div#menu1 {
height: 36px; 
margin-bottom:0px; 
border:none; 
background: transparent; 
padding:0 0 0 110px !important;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu {
background: transparent;
border: none 0px; 
padding-right:0px;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li {
padding-left:0px;
}

ul.rMenu li a:link, 
ul.rMenu li a:visited,  
ul.rMenu li a:active, 
ul.rMenu li { 
background-color: transparent !important;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a,
ul.rMenu li a:hover{
border:none !important;
list-style-type: none;
display: -moz-inline-stack;
display: inline-block;
zoom: 1;
*display: inline;
padding:1em 2.5em 1em 1em;
background: url(http://www.montgomerytrees.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/menu-slash.jpg) no-repeat right center;
}

#menu-item-37 a{
background-image:none !important;
background:transparent;
padding-right:0;
width:15px;
}
I'd post a link to it working, but the site isn't live yet. So here's a little screencap.

You have to make sure that both the active AND hover link states are included in the CSS with the background image otherwise said image will disappear on hover.

I hope this helps someone!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 03:56 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You could also use a WP custom menu, add some dummy entries (img1 img2 etc) and set the link to '#'. Then find the menu ID name for each and use something like this

HTML Code:
#menu-item-1329 a span,
#menu-item-1330 a span {
  display: none;
}
#menu-item-1329 a,
#menu-item-1330 a {
  background-image: url('http://mydomain.com/wp-content/menu-spacer.jpg'); 
  height: 10px; 
  width: 10px;
}
The first part causes teh menu item name (img1, img2) to NOT show and the second part displays your background image.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:11 PM
dread

3 posts · Jul 2009
The menu item for the blog page does not behave the same way as the other page items. The pages behave correctly with respect to margin or padding. The menu item for the blog page does not respond to margin or padding and the background image overlaps the text. I have had the same result using border-right:, where the blog page does not respond.