Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] image between page menu items

Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
striped aardvark

50 posts · Mar 2010
dundas, ontario, canada
I've been searching through the forum, and can't find any reference to this - is it possible to use an image to separate oage menu items (rather than a pipe or a symbol etc)

many thanks!

Joan
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
is there a way to do it, sure, there is a way to do everything. Can it be done without making changes to the theme.? I've no idea. It would probably take an hour of playing to figure out. there might even be a plugin that cold do it...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:41 AM
striped aardvark

50 posts · Mar 2010
dundas, ontario, canada
turns out you can use img code in the wp native menu now. that's a welcome change. all is well, and thank-you for the reply, juggledad! http://bradensshuttle.ca/demo2013/ (only problem is, it highlights around each of them, just as it does around the menu titles - if you can think of something off the top of your head to make that go away, i'd be grateful!)

best,
joan
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:59 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by striped aardvark
if you can think of something off the top of your head to make that go away, i'd be grateful!)

best,
joan
Two things I can think of.
Add image code to each menu item. For instance add image code to the right of the first menu item etc.

Add a class to the anchor menu items. If you don't see a class check box you have to turn it on via Screen Options.
Then use the class with the following CSS.
HTML Code:
.class-name a:hover {
    background: white !important;
}
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:33 PM
striped aardvark

50 posts · Mar 2010
dundas, ontario, canada
thank-you! i'm trying those.. I didn't even know we could give menu items a class! so I called them anchorhover, and added this code to the inserts :

.class-anchorhover a:hover
{
}

but it didn't work. damn! I've searched the source, and each anchor also has an id like this.. li id="menu-item-43" .. so with my limited css skills, I thought maybe something like :

li.menu-item-43 a:hover
{
}

or

#menu-item-43 a:hover {
}

no luck with either of those.. but i'm fairly certain i'm doing something wrong with that code.

what about some way of making the anchors not links at all? so they don't even qualify for the hover code?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:35 PM
striped aardvark

50 posts · Mar 2010
dundas, ontario, canada
hold the phone - my clunky code did the trick! many thanks you guys!!!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:45 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
For the class of anchorhover don't add class- before your class name you would use.
HTML Code:
.anchorhover a:hover
{
}
By using a class you won't have to find the id of each item although that works fine as well.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:01 PM
striped aardvark

50 posts · Mar 2010
dundas, ontario, canada
w00t! thank-you so much! I won't forget!