Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

How to get rid of the grey rectangles in widgets?

Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:31 PM
roxybc

23 posts · May 2011
Can someone tell me how to get rid of the little grey boxes that are standard in the Atahulapa widgets such as Tags, Categories and Archives? I can't figure out how to style them and remove them all together. I don't want any bullets or anything. Instead I'd like to be able to change the hover colour when someone puts their mouse over the month, category, etc.

see here: http://www.unbecomingmymother.com/

I'm very new to wordpress and the atahulapa theme, so if someone could be as clear as possible when explaining, I would be very very grateful!

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:43 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Use a code inspector to see what they are, and what CSS has put them there, so you can see what to change to remove/edit them

Chrome has a built in code inspector, just right click the element, "Inspect Element"
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:01 PM
roxybc

23 posts · May 2011
Thanks for the reply Jam, but you'll have to excuse my stupidity, but I have no idea what your talking about.

What is a code inspector? I do not have chrome. I am using safari at the moment, but can also use Firefox if it's best?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:04 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can style/remove them in the Style Widgets area of the theme options.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:09 PM
roxybc

23 posts · May 2011
Thanks lmilesw - I've had a look there already, and can't figure out what to do. Could you please explain exactly what I have to do / what code I need to remove and where I can find it?

Many Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:11 PM
roxybc

23 posts · May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
You can style/remove them in the Style Widgets area of the theme options.

Ok, I have changed the colour of the boxes to white - the same colour as my background. Is this the best way to make them "disappear"?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
install the FireBug' extension in FireFox to use the code inspector get familiar with it, it is wonderful.

The box is actually the 'border-left' color and setting it to the background is a great way to make it disappear.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:34 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc
Ok, I have changed the colour of the boxes to white - the same colour as my background. Is this the best way to make them "disappear"?
You can also set the border width to 0
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:20 PM
wolfdogg

1 posts · Apr 2013
had this problem tonight myself and the above didn't work, so.. for others who face it...

Appearance-> Editor -> open css.php

Search (Ctrl+F) for: base styling for all widgets

Replace the next couple sections with the following, which removes the border-left completely (better than just changing the background color of left border) and adds underline to hover.

Code:
div.widget ul li {
	display: block;
	margin: 2px 0 2px <?php echo $bfa_ata['widget_lists']['li-margin-left']; ?>px;
	padding: 0 0 0 <?php echo $bfa_ata['widget_lists']['link-padding-left']; ?>px; 
	border-left: none;
	}

div.widget ul li:hover,
div.widget ul li.sfhover {
display: block;
width: auto;
	border-left: none;
        text-decoration:underline;
	}
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
A much better idea would be to add that to the CSS Inserts so it would be a theme option and would remain over updates