Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

RSS Widget frequency post update

Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:47 AM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
I have a few RSS Widgets in the sidebar of https://www.capecodbirdclub.org/. I have noticed that the links to the posts are not updated as frequently as the RSS feed I have in my Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar. It's sometimes a few posts behind. Refreshing the browser doesn't help, closing Firefox and restarting doesn't help.

In searching for a reason/solution (since I know little about RSS feeds, and how they work), I did find one page (http://www.village-idiot.org/archive...ss-rss-widget/) that says to modify functions.php with:
add_filter( 'wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime', create_function('$a', 'return 1800;') );
The page says "The above code will cause the feeds to be checked every 30 minutes."

Does this sound like a reasonable solution? If so, does it matter where in functions.php I put it?

If someone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could try using the Code Snippets plugin that lets you add code to functions.php without editing the file itself.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Thanks, I didn't know about that plugin. I've put the code in there, and will wait to see if the feeds seem to be more current.