Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » RSS, Feeds & Subscribing »

[SOLVED] Exclude Category from RSS

Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
Trying to exclude a category from the RSS feed. Not having any luck with plugins or this function in the functions.php:

Code:
function myFeedExcluder($query) {
 if ($query->is_feed) {
   $query->set('cat','-98');
 }
return $query;
}

add_filter('pre_get_posts','myFeedExcluder');
I don't see Atahualpa using the standard commands they are using here.

Ideas?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
I believe I have gotten a plugin to work. Looks like I had it setup incorrectly. Thanks!

Dani
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
Spoke too soon it appears. The Ultimate Category Excluder does not seem to be excluding anything. Any ideas on this??
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
I will be attempting this process: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/p...rss?replies=15

And will update you on whether or not it works.

In the meantime if you have done this would love to hear thoughts!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:46 AM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
From what I can tell the first post I put up in this thread is a super common one that is actually working for people. Can mods or Flynn help me understand why it's not working with this theme?

Perhaps I simply have in wrong location or need to change one of the commands to what our theme uses??

Thank you!

Dani
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:04 AM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
Hey guys.

Figured out a workaround and potentially what the trouble was. I totally spaced that I have the Feedburner Feedsmith plugin on to redirect all my feed subscribers to my Feedburner feed. Which means all these adjustments are unnecessary.

All I have to do is go to feedburner, click on the feed you want to change, click edit feed details, and then change the feed location through feedburner from this:

Code:
http://theadventurebite.com/feed/
To this:

Code:
http://theadventurebite.com/feed?cat=-98
with the cat being the category number I want to exclude.

Works like a charm and makes the change without losing any subscribers or having to update any links, etc.

Hope that helps someone else.

~Dani