Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Is it possible to auto-refresh a text widget ?

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
I can't get an answer to this one elsewhere so here goes !

I run a sports blog on game nights that needs to have a simple widget or plug-in that carries the game score and which updates without visitors/fans having to continually hit F5/Refresh in case the score has changed (that screws the site up big time !). A simple text widget would do.

There is other content on the page - eg: a chat room - so I don't want the whole page to refresh - only the score.

It sounds simple but I just can't find a way to do it and would love some ideas !
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The only way I can think it might work would be to have a jscript that did it

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 24, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
I'm looking at using the header image as my scoreboard by uploading an image that I update with the score.

I'm thinking if I place only one image in the theme's images/header directory (with the scoreboard on) and select the option to rotate every 15 seconds with javascript then each time I upload a revised scoreboard image, it will pick that up on refresh.

Will that work - I can't see why it wouldn't ?

Last edited by Paul33; Sep 24, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Readers browsers will cache the first image it loads. I dont think it will work, they will only see original image loaded when they first viewed that page.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it should be easy to test, let us know if it works.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:11 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
A quick search on wordpress.org found this plugin.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:17 AM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
Jam was right - the browser just ignores the updated file even if I upload it with a different name.

Is there no code I can add within the header section to make it refresh somehow ?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:27 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The plugin I sent a link to does a live update. The only downside I see is that you would see all the scores like a Twitter feed with the latest score at the top. Someone who is logged into the site can update the score from the front end and it will automatically update.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
I think the plug-in is fine as you can limit the displayed messages to just one (the latest) thus making it look like it is updating.

However, cosmetically the header idea looks great if I could make it work but unless somebody knows how to force an auto refresh or somehow to ignore the cache then I'm stuck. I'm positive there is a bit of code that will do this but I'm just not clever enough to know what it is !
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You could put the plugin into the header by adding a new widget area per the the header config box. The info on adding a new widget area is in that section of the theme options. Then you could increase the font size of the score with CSS.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
Mmmmm ..... never thought of that !

Will try that out - many thanks !