Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How to display child pages instead of parent page in menu bar

Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:22 AM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Hi,

For some reason, in my site only the menu 'Afzonderlijke werken' (my site is in Dutch) is displayed in full; the other category menu's display only the parent page, which is already a duplicate of the menu title (displayed in black capitals).

I am not sure why this is, but I would like to have the child pages immediately under the parent page to be displayed. I hope I am making myself clear. Please let me give an example:

The menu item 'KRITIEKEN' has the link 'Kritieken' below it (which is an unnecessary repetition of the title). If you click on it, 8 child pages appear in the menu. Those are the ones I would like to have displayed from the outset, i.e. when visitors land on my site. How can I arrange for that?

Thank you very much for your response!

Kindly,

Rutger
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You must be using a widget since this is the sidebar. Which widget are you using and what dettings are you using (if any) in the widget?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Hi Juggledad,

Thanks for your response!
I am using the 'Hierarchical Pages' widget; please see the image below for the 'Kritieken' widget with the settings.

Thanks for your help!

Kindly,

Rutger
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You need to talk to the author of that plugin, it is not part of the theme at all.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
I was afraid you would say that...
Is there any way in Atahualpa to accomplish what I'm looking for, i.e. to have menus that I can compose of pages of my own choosing, instead of being bound by page hierarchies? I now sometimes even find myself duplicating an entire page because I want it to show up in 2 different menus.
Thanks again, Juggledad!
Kindly,
Rutger
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You could always create custom menu's and then use the custom menu widget (this is all Wordpress stuff) and then you could add multiple copies to the sidebar and use the plugin 'widget logic' to control what menu to display when.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Hi Juggledad,

Everything works, including making custom menu's, using the custom menu widget, and adding multiple copies to the sidebar. It's at the "widget logic" plugin that I get stuck because it requires knowledge of php, which I don't have.

I have asked the Plugin Forum but did not a receive a response yet. I need to find out what I should put in the Widget Logic text field in the Custom Menu widget in order to accomplish my goal, i.e., to have those parent pages be folded when a visitor lands on the main page (or on any post or page that does not belong to the pages in the respective custom menu), but opened if they land on any of the child pages.

If you can help me, dear Juggledad, privately if must when this falls outside of this forum's scope, I'll be sure to make a donation right away. I need this to work.

Thanks!

Last edited by RHCdG; Jun 25, 2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:59 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) how many menu widgets do you have
2) what is the condition for menu 1 to show?
3) what is the condition for menu 2 to show?
n) what is the condition for menu n to show?

if I know this I might be able to give you the widget logic code
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
I'll first give you the URL to the site: www.cornetsdegroot.com.
All the menu widgets that are relevant to this issue are in the left sidebar. (The right sidebar only lists recent posts and recent comments).

There are currently 9 menu widgets. (There will be more in the future as I add more pages in additional categories).

Now, to answer your questions (I'll skip the first one, see above):

1) Menu 1 is a Custom Menu. It should show at all times.
2) Menu 2 is a Link Menu. It should show at all times.
3) Menu 3 is currently a 'Hierarchical Pages' menu but will soon become a Custom Menu like Menu 6 now that you pointed me into this direction.
4) Same as Menu 3.
5) Same as Menu 3.
6) Is called "Kritieken" and is the Custom Menu that I created according to your instructions. It should display the parent pages when visitors land on any page that does not belong to this menu. If they land on any parent or child page belonging to this menu, the respective parent page should open (unfold) and display its child pages.
7) Same as Menu 3.
8) Same as Menu 3.
9) Same as Menu 3.

In summary, all widgets should show in folded mode (not sure if this is the proper terminology) when visitors land on the site; when they land on a specific page belonging to Menus 3-9, e.g. "Naakt twaalfuurtje" under "Elseviers Weekblad (’67-’69)" then both mentioned pages should display in the menu, including the child pages on the same level as the page that is called.

I hope I make myself clear! Please let me know if not, and many thanks for your help!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
maybe what you are looking for is tihs widget http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...d-menu-widget/
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Do you mean I should forget about the Widget Logic plugin but keep building the custom menu's as you specified earlier?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if you had a menu
A
a1
a2
a3
a4
B
C
c1
c2
that widget would show the menu
A
B
C
and if you click on A you would see
A
a1
a2
a3
a4
B
C
and if you click on C you would see
A
B
C
c1
c2
So if I understand what you want to do, this should replace what I previusly said to do.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Apart from building the custom menus then.
Thanks JD, I'll move forward with this in the morning.