Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Juggledad's multi column/custom query

Old May 6, 2012, 06:45 AM
wesleydeboer

3 posts · Mar 2012
Hello!

I have two questions

1. I have all latest versions of WP and Atahualpa. And in one of the latest versions you added Juggledad's multi column/custom query. I'm not sure if im right but this should make it possible to have multiple columns on pages and posts-pages right?. If so could someone explain how to make make a two or three column page of this page http://wesleydeboer.com/schoolwork/. I just can't figure out how to do it.

2. In the header of the pages I've put my social media buttons. I used the overlay header function but i'm not able to click them. When you click you go to home. Only when I put "clickable header" on no they work. Is there a possibility to have them both work?

Thanks for you help

Wesley
Old May 6, 2012, 09:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
If you use this template, think about donating to me. I spent many long hours figuring out how to do this, testing an debugging it. Sending me a donation will encourage me to continue to support this template and Atahualpa.

You can use the 'Donate to Juggledad' button on the donate page
This PAGE template will allow you to use one template on any number of pages and have different options per page. It is a combination of a custom query and multi-column template (variable columns per page).

* you can code a custom query...or not
* you can choose to display the page TITLE...or not
* you can choose to display the page TEXT...or not
* you can define multiple columns...as many as you want, 1 to n (but any more that 5 or 6 makes them very narrow (with CSS you can define how wide each column should be)
* you can display x posts above the column

And the settings are unique to each page you use the template on.

============
INSTALLATION
============

This template currently (as of version 3.7.5) is included with the theme
1) download the attached file and unzip it.
2) upload it to your Atahualpa folder
3) edit a page in the backend and select the template 'JUGGLEDAD's Multi Column/Custom Query'

============
USAGE
============
If you wish to have multiple columns, add a custom field called 'number_of_columns' and put a number in the value field.

If you wish to have a post (or 3 or 10) above the columns, add a custom field called 'posts_above_the_column' and put a number in the value field.

If you wish to have show the page 'title', add a custom field called 'show_page_title' and put 'yes' or 'no' in the value field

If you wish to have show the page 'text', add a custom field called 'show_page_text' and put 'yes' or 'no' in the value field

If you wish to have custom query, add a custom field called 'custom_query' and put a custom query in the value field.

to craft a query, go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_...ce/query_posts
to see the variations you can code. You use what is inside the quotes. For example, if you see
query_posts('cat=2,6,17,38');
you would only enter
cat=2,6,17,38
into the custom field.

Here are some sample queries:
category_name=Direction
category_name='Staff House'
tag=animal
post_status=publish&posts_per_page=10
post_status=draft
post_type='movie' (yes you can use custom post types)
post_type='page' (you can have a page of 'pages')

====================
controlling the column widths
====================
You can easily control how wide the post columns will be by adding a couple selectors and rules to the 'CSS Inserts' option. By adding the 'body.page-id-nnnn' to the CSS Selector, you can customize the width per page. For example: Here is what might add for a three column page and a four column page

body.page-id-1493 .mccq_column1 {width: 33%;}
body.page-id-1493 .mccq_column2 {width: 33%;}
body.page-id-1493 .mccq_column3 {width: 33%;}

body.page-id-2367 .mccq_column1 {width: 20%;}
body.page-id-2367 .mccq_column2 {width: 20%;}
body.page-id-2367 .mccq_column3 {width: 10%;}
body.page-id-2367 .mccq_column4 {width: 50%;}

====================
LICENSE
====================
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Support for any problems encountered will be on an 'as my time permits' unless you want to hire me - in that case, send me a private message and I'll tell you my rates.

Last edited by juggledad; May 8, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
2. In the header of the pages I've put my social media buttons. I used the overlay header function but i'm not able to click them.
you may need to add some CSS to increase the z-index
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:29 PM
willclark218

4 posts · Jul 2012
I had a heck of a long post but was logged out and didn't know it.. rats.. but this is bad a** jd.. definitely going to donate when I'm not so friggin broke.. figured out the bio thing also... sort of.. I'm not a programmer but can usually follllow directions, even when they give me a headache.. I do have one question though and I hope its not a bug.. I can get the posts to show up on the correct pages but the comments are closed for some reason.. Enabled on screen options and through quick edit.. still no luck.. am I being stupid?.. thx..
Will
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:27 PM
willclark218

4 posts · Jul 2012
fixed it..
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I like this type of question
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
crateov

18 posts · Dec 2012
Hello!

I have a few of questions and donated for the help.

1. On http://crateov.com/podcasts/ I am trying to show only one category on the page. I read through how to put certain categories and I think I am confused. For the "custom query" I did this:

// -------------------------------------------------------------------------
// get the custom query
// -------------------------------------------------------------------------
$my_custom_field = $custom_fields['cat=11'];
if (is_array($my_custom_field)) {
foreach ( $my_custom_field as $key => $value ) {
if ($key == 'cat=11') {$mccq_args= $value;}
}
}

I changed the custom_query into 'cat=11' and Don't know if that's how to change 'custom_query' into a certain category but it didn't help. It still post all the categories.

2. How do I change to the page theme into a "Multi Post Pages" because it's using the POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS of my "Homepage" instead of the "Multi Post Pages". The Kicker is different between my Homepage and Multi Post Pages and this would help me design the site to fit the theme.

3. How do you remove the excerpts from the post.

4. also, I am having trouble adjusting the post column sizes for http://crateov.com/podcasts/. I used this:

body.page-id-0228 .mccq_column1 {width: 320px;}
body.page-id-0228 .mccq_column2 {width: 320px;}
body.page-id-0228 .mccq_column3 {width: 320px;}

on CSS insert, but it doesn't look even.

Last edited by crateov; Jan 12, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
crateov:
Quote:
1. On http://crateov.com/podcasts/ I am trying to show only one category on the page. I read through how to put certain categories and I think I am confused.
you don't touch the template
go back and read post 2 of this thread
Quote:
2. How do I change to the page theme into a "Multi Post Pages"
you don't it is a 'page' page
Quote:
3. How do you remove the excerpts from the post.
you can add another custom filed 'number_of_full_posts' and set the value to 99999 - but if you have a log post and then a short post they won't look good together.
Quote:
4. also, I am having trouble adjusting the post column sizes for http://crateov.com/podcasts/. I used this:
body.page-id-0228 .mccq_column1 {width: 320px;}
your page id is incorrect - take a look at the <body...> statement in the source to see what it should be

Also you have a table that is in the source before the <body...> statement. You probally put it in the wrong option in the 'Add HTML/CSS Inserts' option.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:56 AM
crateov

18 posts · Dec 2012
Thanks for the reply Juggledad, still confused about certain things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
crateov:

you don't touch the template
go back and read post 2 of this thread
I read through it again and still confused on what to do with:

"If you wish to have custom query, add a custom field called 'custom_query' and put a custom query in the value field."

I really don't know where "custom_query" on the theme beside the template area.

I want to post certain categories, so do I use this?

custom_query( 'cat=11' );

really confused about this.
Quote:
you don't it is a 'page' page
Is there a way to use the info on the Atahualpa > POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS for the kicker and byline for "Multi Post Pages"? I know it's taking it's info from the "HOMEPAGE" kicker and byline.

Last edited by crateov; Jan 13, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Edit the page and go to the custom fields area. If you don't see it, check the screen options tab
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:01 AM
crateov

18 posts · Dec 2012
Quote:
Edit the page and go to the custom fields area. If you don't see it, check the screen options tab
Thanks. That was simple. I feel like an idiot. haha.

Is there a way to have search results use the Juggledad template?

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 13, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Is there a way to have search results use the Juggledad template?
I've never tried using it that way.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:40 AM
gr870sfunk

110 posts · Mar 2011
Montgomery, AL
I am using the template in order to show posts on my home page after some other text. It works great and has for months, but the problem is that the formatting on the post such as links and block quotes don't show up on the multi-post view.

www.togetherwesoar.org

When you click on the link to go into the single post page, all the formatting is there.

How can I get the links and such to show up on the home page? All the posts are showing the full post and not excerpts, btw.

WordPress 3.5.1
ATA 3.7.10
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:50 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Does that occur even with the proper tags added to the "Don't strip these tags" box in the Excerpts section of the theme options?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:37 PM
gr870sfunk

110 posts · Mar 2011
Montgomery, AL
Ah! That did it. I've never had to use that particular option, so I wasn't aware of it. Thanks!!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:20 AM
h2p

1 posts · Mar 2011
" to see the variations you can code. You use what is inside the quotes. For example, if you see
query_posts('cat=2,6,17,38');
you would only enter
cat=2,6,17,38
into the custom field.

tag=animal
...."

If I have a tag of a few words - it does not work.
tag=animal - Ok
tag='big animal' - does not work
Old May 8, 2014, 09:07 AM
M-SHOLEH

1 posts · Aug 2013
Quote:
I like this type of question
Haloo Master juggledad
If I donate $ 5 instead of $ 10 - $ 20
What do I get??
1.Juggledad 's multi column / custom query
2. Remove Powered by Atahualpa Footer
And what else is there?? :-)
Old May 10, 2014, 08:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you donate $5 you will get our thanks.
If you donate $20 you get access to the gold forums and the gold forum tutorials and get directions to remove the footer credits.
If you donate $100 you get access to the gold and diamond forum and better response from the moderators.

Last edited by lmilesw; May 10, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:39 AM
Alan_OldStudent

46 posts · Oct 2013
Northwest United States
Quote:
============
USAGE
============
If you wish to have multiple columns, add a custom field called 'number_of_columns' and put a number in the value field....(???)
Hello,

I'm new at some of this, and I wanted to use this template. But I got stuck right here, because I don't have a clue how or where to add a "custom field." Are the words "number of columns=3" written into the page itself? Is there another place to add custom fields?

I know it's the holidays and you probably are busy, but I really need to get this done rather quickly. A hint would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alan
Old Dec 23, 2014, 04:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Custom fields are part of Wordpress. When you edit the page, if you don't see the custom fields section, click the screen options - top right of the screen - and check the option on
Old Dec 23, 2014, 04:34 PM
Alan_OldStudent

46 posts · Oct 2013
Northwest United States
Quote:
Custom fields are part of Wordpress. When you edit the page, if you don't see the custom fields section, click the screen options - top right of the screen - and check the option on
Thanks JD,

I'm sure I'll have further questions later on.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent
The unexamined life is not worth living—Socrates
Gracias a la vida, que me ha dado tanto—Violeta Parra
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:53 AM
DanDan

41 posts · Aug 2010
I simply cannot get this to work. Perhaps I am not using it right. Is it to show the blog posts on the post page in three columns rather than one post on top of another horizontially?

I am using the latest version of wordpress and the latest version of Atahualpa on a godaddy server, using the template_multi_column_custom_query template, have added the custom field number_of_columns and value 3, added the css and cannot get it to work. When it did not work I deactivated all the plugins, didn't help.

What did I forget to do?

If this is not the right mod, can you direct me to a mod that will do what I need to do?

Thanks,

Dan
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It's a multi column custom query template
see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=15718
Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:01 PM
DanDan

41 posts · Aug 2010
I see my error, I was trying to get the blog page to go into three columns, not a regular page. It works now.

Thanks!

Dan