Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

[SOLVED] Cyrillic characters become '???' (question marks)

Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:10 AM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
Weird. A comment in Russian I wonder if it's the theme, or something else in WP?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it shows all ? marks on both links
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
it shows all ? marks on both links
Yes it does! whether I am logged in (bypassing WP-Super-Cache), or viewing anonymously!

But trust me, at the time I was writing the OP, the situation was exactly as I described: Russian characters via the 1st link, ??? via the 2nd link. Don't know what could happen since then...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
are the comments being entered on the blog or are they coming from facebook and being inserted via some plugin?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:08 AM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
They are imported from Facebook (from http://goo.gl/cp0KD ) automatically via add-link-to-facebook plugin.

Last edited by ymf; Apr 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:20 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
There is probably a character set conversion issue going on. I just pasted that comment into a comment on my local site and it shows fine.

Take a look in teh database and see what the comment looks like there.
Also what is the character set being used in the db?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
Yes, I tracked down the root cause on my end: some WP’s database tables are using the legacy (pre-WP 2.2) "CHARACTER SET latin1" instead of the new "CHARACTER SET utf8". Now I am scratching my head: how (with least efforts) to convert the database character sets from latin1 to utf8? There are too many choices...

The WP codex article "Converting Database Character Sets" is dated 2010 and describes a very manual and a very involved method;

The "UTF-8 Database Converter" plugin is dated 2010 and is no longer being maintained by the author; it uses behind the scene the SQL statements:
PHP Code:
ALTER DATABASE $db CHARACTER SET utf8
ALTER TABLE $table CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET binary
ALTER TABLE $table CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8
ALTER TABLE $table MODIFY $field_type $field_options
OPTIMIZE TABLE $table 
The "Convert WP Database to UTF-8" plugin is dated 2011; it uses behind the scene the SQL statements:
PHP Code:
ALTER TABLE $table DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci
ALTER TABLE $table CHANGE $field_name $field_name $field_type CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci 
THen there is Alex King's blog about latin1 to utf8 conversion dated 2008...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what ever you do, start with a database backup.

actually you could try
1) do a database export,
2) edit the export and change the language.
3) delete the database
4) import the new one.

do it to a test database first

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 12, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
Yes, that's exactly what I did, and it worked. It's the same as method proposed in Alex King's blog about latin1 to utf8 conversion. Thanks!